The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I covered the dirt floor of my 10x10 barn with limestone and rubber stall mats.
I like how it keeps the dust down in the barn. I was using PDZ and straw with the dirt floor.
Now with the mats I've been using wood shavings and have already spent a small fortune on them, as I go through 2-3 bags a week...and it gets smelly really fast.

What do those of you with cement or stall mat flooring in your barn?
I really need a better smelling and cheaper option.
Have any of you tried laying newspaper down under the straw, or would that be a big mess?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Is there anyone who sells it in bulk? We have people who sell about 80lb bags of pine shavings for about $7 per bag. It is basically sawdust and isn't the perfect stuff from TSC but much cheaper.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We used wood stove pellets for a while in our old barn.. Worked quite well.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We have cement and we don't use anything on the floor. The goats have pallets for lounging/sleeping that they rarely use but they're there mostly for the cold and rainy times. We sweep out daily. We did use shavings (so much money) until we got the Angoras and realized that had to stop. They're just as happy now without bedding.

I have to say though, they waste hay and that's the only area they usually pee in. I'm not sure why they chose one stall to pee in but so far, that's what they do.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! :)

Hmmm...no bedding on the floor is a much cheaper option...I think my hubby will like that one. ;)
There is a sleeping shelf in the barn, maybe a layer of straw up there for them to lay on will be sufficient.
I want to make sure they stay warm in the winter, we had such a stretch of below zero temps last winter.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I havent added much shavings , only enough to cover the bottom and soak up the pee. My goats have access to the outside 24-7 so they do alot of their business outside I find. When I do go through alot of shavings is when it rains , they all stay inside then.
In the winter I will use shavings and lots of straw on top and try to only clean every other day or so. I hate to leave anything wet though.
But I find if have enough shavings down and lots of straw , it doesnt soak all the way through and I can just pick out the top layer of straw and just add more straw. I think if you try that with your boys you will find that you don't go through as much shavings.
I love my matts .

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Laura :)

I guess I just haven't figured it out yet...and now with a broken foot, hubby is in charge and doesn't keep it as clean as I would like, but he tries.

With the dirt floor I had my routine down pat.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
If they sleep on the shelf , then having the matts and using the straw and shavings option should be fine. I would try that first if I were you.
I mean , you have the matts down already anyways . Maybe clean every other day ? I need to check back on how big their barn is though.
But with the addition of the straw , you shouldnt go through as much shavings. And , not sure how much shavings you are using. I would just put down enough to cover the bottom , no need for a deep bedding if they sleep on the shelf IMO. If that doesnt work , how about cutting the matts to fit on top of the shelf ? But then the urine will soak into the ground and you will eventually be digging it up and adding more dirt.
IDK , but maybe you something here will work for you :)
Good luck :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
OH NO ! Did I miss that ? Im so sorry your hurt :(:(:(
OMG ! How long till you are healed ? How horrible to be laid up , I know , I was like that for 8 weeks , its just horrible when your used to be active and doing things your way !! Oh Roxy , Im so sorry :(
Im sure hubby is doing his best . Hold on , you will be right back there taking care of your babies soon , but not soon enough for your liking I know...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Do they use the sleeping shelf? You just want them to be able to get away from the urine etc. If the pallets/shelf, then I'd go with that and then once you're feeling better you can go back to your routine.

Another thing that is nice if you have small goats is to get little dog houses. Ours will poo in them but not pee. The babies have a little dog hut to cuddle up in with a little layer of hay. It keeps them warm and cozy together.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amy, They do have an Igloo doghouse in their pen.
I was actually thinking of putting it in the barn this winter, for some extra warmth...they like to snuggle in it together.
They do use the sleeping shelf...but they really don't discriminate about where they relieve themselves...if it's covered with straw or shavings, then it's their potty place. :rolleyes:

Laura, I fell off a 6 foot ladder about 3 weeks ago...fractured my right heel, and dislocated and fractured my left pinky finger.
I'm lucky, it could have been much worse. :eek:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We have a dirt floor in our barn and just spread some of their hay on the ground for bedding. When we clean it out, we usually spread a little hay on the ground and let them do the rest by spilling hay from their feeder. :rolleyes:
I was wondering if this is an okay way to do it? I mean, it seems to work, but I see that a lot of people on here have concrete, or mats or something else, so I wondered whats the problem with plain old dirt floors?
It seems a LOT easier to me, since you don't have to build anything, it's naturally absorbent, and easy to clean. :shrug:
Not trying to sound confrontational at all, I'm really curious why everyone uses the kind of flooring they do use. :)
I hope this isn't too off topic. :eek:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We built a new goat shed that will be dirt floors. Dirt with lime, topped with shavings, topped with hay which we will build up will be the winter. In the spring I'd like to put down limestone and stall matts. They also have raised beds to get off the ground.

I think using their waste hay as bedding is a great idea. I leave most of the waste hay as bedding as well.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No worries Iexaslass :)
Dirt floors are fine. I just put the mats down to keep it cleaner.
The barn was getting so dusty...plus the dirt was getting stinky after a year, even with the barn lime.

I like the fact that the rubber mats can be scrubbed and rinsed off...it's all personal preference and whatever works best for you.

I was getting barn lime at Tractor Supply, it's in bags and actually called Barn Lime.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Dirt floors a fine . Like was mentioned , its a personal preference :)
What works for you is the way to go .
You may have to change out the dirt in time cause it does build up .
I also will use the hay they waste for bedding. Heck , it beats tossing it out ! But I dont let it stay in there too long.

Roxy , Im sorry about your fall !!!! Your right , it could have been worse , geez !! I might have forgotten about it too , its just a way of life for me to forget what the heck i did an hour ago, lolol ;)
Wish I were closer , I could take care of the little darlings for you :)

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! :) How often would you need change the dirt would you say?
I would say it depends on the size of your barn and how many goats you have.
Your nose will tell you when it needs to be done. ;)

Roxy , Im sorry about your fall !!!! Your right , it could have been worse , geez !! I might have forgotten about it too , its just a way of life for me to forget what the heck i did an hour ago, lolol ;)
Wish I were closer , I could take care of the little darlings for you :)
Hahaha...they'd never want you to leave!
And when you did, would I perhaps be one goat lighter...maybe missing a little brown one...Hmmmmm????? ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts