Stall mats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sfgwife, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    So. I have been dealing with mastitis in a doe..... for a month. I did send off a milk sample and got a prelim result. It is an ecoli related bug cannot remember the specific bug name. We are waiting for the sensitivity to come back to treat her again because today or tomorrow and pen g are not the thing to get rid of this mess.

The only thing we can think is from this dumb super wet then dry a week the super wet again messy weather. I clean the shavings on the floor daily and scrape the poop off the loft. Because nothing in my milking routine had changed and we have never had a mastitis problem before now. But i do not want to deal with this again. We have a loft it is wood. The barn is getting a power wash and disinfect this week.

So for the mats.... how to do clean yours? How often? Do you put down shavings or anything on top of them? Give me the low down on them please.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well I guess I am an oddball with how I take care of my barn. I have mats down over top a wood floor. I sweep the poop up daily with a dustpan. If the poop gets stomped in after a while I’ll scrub it with some water and EOs or thieves cleaner. Then I have litter boxes, I use the bottom of a large dog crate, some people like baby pools, and other people just like to selectively place bedding only in one corner for pee.

Will post photos for you.

MadHouse, Sfgwife and Iluvlilly! like this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have mats over a dirt floor. I top with a generous layer of shavings. I notice mine pee about in the same spot, so I get that up daily, and then pick up the poop. Seems to work well for me.

4. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    My goats live like savages in comparison to you folk.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I call their barn "the mansion." :haha:

friesian49, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. Breezy

Breezy Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Georgia
    You are not an oddball, I do the exact same thing! We have mats (was a horse barn). In the summer, I use a broom and dust pan daily to get up all the poo and hay, and then I use their water bucket to rinse it out. In the winter I put lime, wood chips and straw and clean it out every week or two.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    (woot)(woot)

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and Breezy like this.
  8. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Do the mats ever get ammonia smell to them? What do you do for that? I would think the pourous of them would suck any liquid in them. :/

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No, not really. Been around horses forever and it’s never been a problem there after years on the same mats and it’s not like that for the goats either. They are very easily to clean.

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Thanks good to know!. I wasnt tryin be rude not askin you as well but i know your lil guys use their litter box... so i did not know if you knew that one.

Do you hose them down? Or only spot clean like it seems from your description of your set up? Paul and i talked about putting a drain in the back of the barn for hosing down.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Like @NigerianDwarfOwner707 I use stall mats with no bedding for horses and goats, I just have to keep it clean. The reason is, some of mine like the taste of shavings. My stall mats are 4'x3', so periodically I can drag them out and spray them down with a hose. Since your barn is being powerwashed, it sounds like you can do that inside. They are very water resistant and don't seem to absorb anything.

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Haha no worries!! I answered because boy have I seen my fair share of poop and pee on rubber mats, LOL!!

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.
  13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Haha oh no. My barn does not have a drain right now. So it will be a muddy mess for a few days. I am hoping it will mainly be under the loft muddy though. The front of this barn is cattle paneled and open. We will see. Eep! I have another part of the barn (it is two barns in an L shape.. one old and one newish) that i can put the goats in til it dries good. I am gonna power wash it now because i am just not able to scrub scrub this one. My milk room i can but not the big barn.

MadHouse and Morning Star Farm like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don’t ever hose my mats down. Took care of a barn of horses for many years and not once. Maybe I should have but horse stall mats are just meant to take the moisture.

15. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    They are. I love mine. I should add, My "barn" gets a lot of water in it when it rains, so the mats get pretty muddy and my floor is dirt so I don't want them sinking down and disappearing. If it was concrete and didn't flood, I don't think I would have to hose them off.

16. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have mine in stalls - first built for my Clydesdales. And yes those horses can pee!!! I just put down enough shavings to absorb it and then clean daily - I now clean daily for my goats - just used to the routine after the horses.

17. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    Now that's the kind of stall to keep a goat in! Clydesdale proof! :heehee: sounds like you could market that. If if holds Clydesdales, it might hold goats, maybe!

18. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Yup!!! Not the typical goat set up - but holds my bucks in with no problem!

19. Breezy

Breezy Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Georgia
    I hose mine down once a month. I don’t know how it works, but they are amazing and don’t hold the smell. I really like them for kidding stalls because I can bleach them and feel I have a very clean birthing area.