The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'll be getting a standard Nubian doeling at 4 days old, and would like to bottle feed.
I'm still new to the world of goat ownership, and have been looking at numerous charts on how and when to bottle feed. I'm not the best at math 😆, and there have been different calculations and rations given on each website. I would really appreciate it if I could get a week by week, step by step guide to bottle feeding until weaned. I plan on weaning at 12 weeks.
Thank you in advance!

· Registered
4,458 Posts
It’s not really going to make a difference in the breed of baby, you’ll still want to go by weight and see how the tummy is after feeding.
You don’t want it poochy (overfeeding), just flat firm sides.
this is the chart many of us go by. Each goat is a little different, so you can check the tummy if they are handling a little higher %… so you can start w/ 10% and then bump up as needed.

Font Parallel Screenshot Document Pattern

I know you didn’t want a chart but it really is helpful 😅

· Fair-Haven
6,171 Posts
I breed and raise Nubians. Go by weight ad far as amount . Frequency for me is 4x a day for the first month, 3x a day for 2nd month, then dccrease month 3 to 2 bottles.. start offering hay and grain at 4 weeks or so. Feed goat milk if possible. If not, whole cows milk. Make sure if is warm enough. The biggest thing with bottle kids is DO NOT overfeed.
Make sure you see the kid being bottle fed before you bring it home. Hopefully baby will have a fried the same age? Goats do not do well alone.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s not really going to make a difference in the breed of baby, you’ll still want to go by weight and see how the tummy is after feeding.
You don’t want it poochy (overfeeding), just flat firm sides.
this is the chart many of us go by. Each goat is a little different, so you can check the tummy if they are handling a little higher %… so you can start w/ 10% and then bump up as needed.

View attachment 245294
I know you didn’t want a chart but it really is helpful 😅
This looks like a great chart, surprising simple to me. Thank you for sharing!

· Registered
1,486 Posts
Are you only getting one? Goats don't do well without a goat buddy. They will get depressed and that's not good at all for a goat. One other thing make sure the babys temp is good 101.5-103.5.
A cold baby cannot digest milk
and will give them diarrhea.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you only getting one? Goats don't do well without a goat buddy. They will get depressed and that's not good at all for a goat. One other thing make sure the babys temp is good 101.5-103.5.
A cold baby cannot digest milk
and will give them diarrhea.
I'm getting only one, but we already have 2 other goats, an adult Nigerian Dwarf, and a 5 month old Nubian.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I breed and raise Nubians. Go by weight ad far as amount . Frequency for me is 4x a day for the first month, 3x a day for 2nd month, then dccrease month 3 to 2 bottles.. start offering hay and grain at 4 weeks or so. Feed goat milk if possible. If not, whole cows milk. Make sure if is warm enough. The biggest thing with bottle kids is DO NOT overfeed.
Make sure you see the kid being bottle fed before you bring it home. Hopefully baby will have a fried the same age? Goats do not do well alone.
We have one that's a little older, and an adult goat as well.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn’t keep a kid that young in with the bigger goats. They may really beat up the baby. Ideally two of the same age together, if not possible, pen them next to each other
Because she is so small, and is being bottle fed, she was going to stay in the backyard until she's weaned (she'll never be lonely. I'll be out there CONSTANTLY with her), then I'll introduce her to the other goats.

· Fair-Haven
6,171 Posts
Probably not… bigger goats can really beat up the little ones. Any new herd introduction will make for sparring and herd hierarchy. You could try with supervision to see how it goes… baby May half to be separated but along a fence line for quite a while. Or / Try to get a place in the pen that is safe for baby to escape.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably not… bigger goats can really beat up the little ones. Any new herd introduction will make for sparring and herd hierarchy. You could try with supervision to see how it goes… baby May half to be separated but along a fence line for quite a while. Or / Try to get a place in the pen that is safe for baby to escape.
I wish I could get two at the same age, but I can't. I forgot to mention that our adult Nigerian Dwarf has a lame front leg, so she can't really hurt her, because she can barely headbutt, and our 5 month Nubian has no horns.
I would like to find a solution so she won't be lonely though.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes - but don’t leave baby in the leash without you and tie it out. They find inventive ways of strangling themselves.
Absolutely! I would stand out there often with her so they can get to know each other slowly. But for the time being that she's small and needing to be bottle fed, will she be okay alone (partially). I can't think of anything else to do! 😣 I've heard of other goats owners who had to bottle feed just a singleton, and it turned out good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts