The Goat Spot Forum banner

Full sized or miniatures?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which do you prefer; standard or miniature goats?
The standards are definitely my favorite, I love how calm, docile and sweet they are :)

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Standards are my preference but we are going to start breeding mini Saanen: ) which are a medium breed rather than mini imo lol..

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Standards. I love how cute the minis are but I love my big girls. Even if they do feel like they weigh a ton when they step on your toe and it's harder to make them move when they don't want to... or do anything they don't want to lol.

·
962 Posts
*GASP!* Skyla... you better not have just said that! Nigi's all the way!!
You're starting to go over to the dark side. :eek:
You're about to get on the same crazy bus that Riley got on. (No offence Riley, lol)

I'm very passionate about my little goaties.

Adding onto all that has been previously mentioned below about Nigerians I feel that I can accomplish more by breeding Nigerians than I can with standards. With Nigerians, since they are a fairly new breed I believe I will be able to cover more ground and improve the breed overall. Standards, however since they have been around for so long and a lot are amazing already I believe I wouldn't make such an impact. Honestly, Nigerians need more breeders and there already are a lot who have a similar purpose.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
ROFL Natasha! No worries ;) my Nigies are sticking around for a while ;) my mom wants me to sell them and go all LaMancha... I'm not ready to leave them behind! :D
But... Se did say I will have to sell Brookie and her dam at some point :( *tear* prob in the next year or two.. :cry: After I get a doeling out of her ofcorse!

And hey, I thought you were looking for a Nubian??

I agree with you there. We need more of us looking to improve the breed! :)

·
962 Posts
BROOKIE!! I honestly will have to kill you. I'm kidding.. maybe. Brook is your best doe!! I think I need to talk to your mom..

I gave up on that. There is no Nubian out there perfect enough for me...
Sticking with Nigerians for now. I think I should work on getting my herd established furtherly before I start another project

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
LOL!
Um YES! Please talk to my mother! LOL! I know she is the best one out there at this time... She thinks because of her feet she is awful (my mom is still learning so I try to explain it all to her but I can't explain stuff and get frustrated and just give up lol!) but I have pretty much fixed her feet completely.. Just need a little more work :)
If we do end up selling her, I'll let you know. You got first dibs if ya want it ;)

That stinks. I don't know of too many nice Nubians around here... Lynnhaven and Fox's Pride are the only two I would buy from...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Adding to my last post...
I think that we should sell Snap.. (That is gonna be hard... She's my baby... :( and has some lovely daughters IMO) and after keeping a few doe kids outa Puffy from all our boys, sell her... And see how Mazie freshens (which better be nice! I don't want to sell Mazers!) then go from there...

·
962 Posts
LOL!

Does she have spread toes? Feet & Legs combined are 15 points on the scorecard and judges commonly only look at whether a goat is hocky or posty, I don't believe she is either. I feel like she'll be real competitive in the show ring giving her 1-2 more freshenings despite her feet.
I'll take you up on first dibs. :)

I don't really like Fox's Pride. Their prices don't reflect their quality. (In a bad way)
Does Lynnhaven have a website because I haven't seen much of her nubians at shows or anything?
The only Nubians that I really like that have a slim possiblity of me getting are Blissberry.

·
962 Posts
Adding onto my last post since someone is too impatient to wait their turn... Lol!

I do agree with you on Snappy. I completely agree with you on selling Puffy in the future. I don't really like her. Her udder really bugs me..
I try not to look at it too much. Lol! My appraiser said that a bad udder is easier to fix than a bad body though so hopefully your bucks really pull it out! Mayzie look is looking good so far and I sincerely hope that she pops out a fabulous udder for you.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
She was selenium deficient.. We fixed that.. Her feet got all messed up from it.. But I have been trimming them a lot and have them looking very nice right now. No, she isn't hocky or posty :)
Ok :) can't promise it will be soon. But if my mom has her way within the next two year.....
I hope she 'blooms' soon! And starts winning some stuff so. My mom won't want to sell her! Lol!

I like Fox's Pride but not like 'totally must have' them... I am not a huge fan of their LaManchas.. But the Nubians are decent :)
Umm... It's not always UTD but she dose have one lol! I think Riley had told me she has most of her goats on her FB page... :shrug:
I know she uses mostly Kastdmure's lines though :)
Blissberry is nice too! :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Adding onto my last post since someone is too impatient to wait their turn... Lol!

I do agree with you on Snappy. I completely agree with you on selling Puffy in the future. I don't really like her. Her udder really bugs me..
I try not to look at it too much. Lol! My appraiser said that a bad udder is easier to fix than a bad body though so hopefully your bucks really pull it out! Mayzie look is looking good so far and I sincerely hope that she pops out a fabulous udder for you.
LOL! No, I was going to edit and add to my first one but my iPod was being stupid and wouldn't let me ;) I need to learn to read my post before I hit send lol!

I'm gonna miss her though lol! And she milks real well.. That is why we held onto her another year..

I like Puff.. her teats bug the heck outta me... But when she has a show fill she looks nice and over look them lol :) she is my sister's goat... And she just sold her first goat so I don't know if I will be able to get her to part with Puff anytime soon... We'll see..
If you don't mind what about her udder don't you like?
I'm hoping my boys will help her out :) I really wanted to breed her to Justice but my sister wanted a baby from her and Chase before we sell him..

Thanks :) I hope so! I love that little stinker! Her dam has a nice udder so I'm hoping she dose too :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts