The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started milking my doe for the first time almost a week ago and I'm having a time getting her to stand sometimes. She's (of course) fine when she has food although she may do a small squat here and there but the real problem is when she runs out or gets impatient.

This is her first freshening, so I figured she would have some tricks up her sleeve. But, does anyone have any tips for working her out of the swinging her legs and squatting? I've tried yelling like you do to train a dog or correct a horse but she doesn't seem to take that seriously, lol. And I've tried having my helper tap the leg she's swinging but that gets ignored too :p

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
I just purchased a FF in milk. The woman I bought her from ties her back leg to the opposite side of the milking stand with a leather lead. This way she can't kick. She's pretty good with hand milking but hates the machine

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
You can always put something under her to stop her from squatting. Hobble or tie the leg so she can't kick.

·
1,524 Posts
I had a doe, FF, who would try to lay down on the milk pail. When nothing would work to make her stand, I got a wooden dowel and screwed it to a piece of board. I set the dowel under her belly. It didn't touch her belly unless she tried to lay down. If she did, the dowel would poke her, making her stand back up. It took 2 times of her poking herself before she quit and never did it again.

I also use hobbles (either baling twin or a horses curb chain) to keep their feet on the milk stand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts