The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this doeling started having issues at 2 months old with swelling in her left front leg and limping on it. Had the vet out and she believed it was most likely from trauma and could have been fractured. About as soon as that leg healed, her right hind started giving her issues. She keeps up with the herd and will put some weight on it when she moves but as soon as she stands still she is three legged. Started off with her hock being hard as a rock and about twice the size as the other hock. Now, you can feel fluid/swelling on it and heat and it has gotten bigger. At first I was thinking another injury but now I'm thinking possible infection. But she hasn't had a fever. Temp today is 102.6. Has anyone ever seen or dealt with this? If so, how did you treat? I have her on meloxicam though it doesn't seem to help much.

You can also see she has muscle atrophy in the hindend from compensating. Not sure what to do for her and don't want to see her suffer so I am seriously considering euthanasia.

FB_IMG_1582396840807.jpg
FB_IMG_1582396843212.jpg

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umbilical area has looked great since the get go. Vet did mention possible joint I'll but we both thought onset (2 months) was a tad late. What antibiotics are best for that treatment?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vet is coming out tomorrow to do a culture and flush. She doesn't believe it is joint ill. And would like to test for mycoplasma. I know very little about that but have heard it's nasty and pretty deadly so I would think if it was that other goats would be showing symptoms and she would be a lot worse off?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks to be a fractured hock. Did xrays of each hind leg and compared. Also did a joint tap and the fluid is a little cloudy from inflammation but does not look infected.
21595.jpeg
21598.jpeg

You can see the fracture on the right leg.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We will be treating with pain meds. Vet said since she is young she should heal up but will probably never be completely sound. Time will tell if she will be able to be used as a breeding doe.
My question..would this be the 2nd leg she has fractured? What is causing this? She is a beauty of a doeling. Have you seen how shes getting hurt?
She most likely got slammed by a bigger doe. The first leg was not confirmed fractured with an xray.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts