Standing weird?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Nov 30, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    OK I can't figure out why Bambi is standing like this. His toes point up and he walks mostly on his heels.
    It's not because he feet are long. I trim them all the time like everyone else. His feet aren't warm or anything. He does not act like they hurt him. He is up to date on his selenium and I gave him some more yesterday since he is looking worse than a week ago. I also copper bolused him the other day.

Any ideas? Is he deficient in some mineral? I don't know why he would be. He has Baking soda, kelp and purina goat minerals out 24/7.

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    It sounds like weak pasterns to me -we have a boer doe that has progressed like Bambi and she is 7 years old- She was bred very heavily before we got her-Hers are getting worse-You could try some Red Cell for horses-How old is he?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    are you trimming the heal part ....if you cut it to short/deep ....they may stand like that...

but it could very well be weak pasterns....

If you could post pics we will know what it may be....

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I will try to get a picture tomorrow. I didn't have my camera the other day.

It's weird because he had really strong pasterns a month ago.
    It looks a bit better today, so maybe the copper or selenium helped.

His b-day is 2/20/08, so he isn't even a year yet. None of my other bucks have feet like this.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so far Angie's pasterns look fine.....so I would say it is diet and not genetics. :shrug:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, it's weird. I think I am going to draw blood and have his copper, selenium, ect. levels done.
    Both his dad and mom's pasterns are fine.

I freshened up their minerals today and they went crazy over the fresh kelp. I also gave him some nutri-drench.

I was thinking it might be the strain from Zorro trying to mount everyone all the time. He also constantly chases everyone. I am going to take Zorro out tomorrow.

He is also in rut... so all they think about is the girls, not eating like they should. :roll:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like it may be a deficiency... If there's already improvement after giving her the minerals ect........sounds like a good thing.. :)

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well this has me confused. :scratch:

Now he seems a bit worse today. But it's a mud pie of a paddock right now so it's hard to tell how he is standing. Will the rain please stop?!?!

Anyways, how much selenium is too much? I have the gel and thats what I give everyone. Because it's oral isn't it harder to od them? Should I give him more?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hard call....is there a way you can get him to a dry[er] area to see how he is walking? maybe he is slipping on the mudd and just not getting good footing causing the funny standing look.

I wouldnt want to keep giving him selenium if you dont know if he is deficent. Have you had the blood drawn yet? How many days did you give it to him already and how much each time?

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No, I didn't call my vet yet to ask about it.

I gave him selenium a couple months ago and then on Saturday I gave him one dose. I just gave the 5ml marker it says to give on the tube. Thats all I have given him. He gets boss in his feed and his feed has selenium in it. So I don't know why he would be deficient. :shrug:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I haven't done any blood tests on him yet. Been putting it off.

But it seems like I have found the problem anyways. I finally got Zorro separated from him, so Zorro can't mount him 24/7 anymore. After about 2-3 days his front feet look a lot better. His back feet are still a little weird, but not as bad.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh good! sounds like you caught it in time before he did perminant damage to the fellow

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, but Zorro broke out of the pen again!!! :angry: :veryangry: :GAAH: :hair:

I am so frustrated with Zorro. He got locked out of the Stall tonight and I put a crate full of straw out in the paddock for him to sleep in. It's under a overhand so he is out of the wind and everything.

So tomorrow I am going to try fixing the fence again, and strengthen it again!

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yeesh! sounds like a determined boy there.