The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this am my old 7 year old doe started really talking and screaming at me. THen she pulls her lip back and looks up and around twice with her eyes closed! I freaked thinking it was stargazing and possibly listeriosis or polio. I gave her some Vit B. I dont have thiamine but Ill get it if needed.
HELP?
A Few Facts.
It has gotten very cold here from 70 over the weekend to 40 today and rained all day yesterday-BLAH
I have a rat that I am trying to catch that may or may not be going into their barn.
I really need to trim her hooves but dang if she is very hard to hold still.
We installed an invisible fence out front of our house so the goats wont go out front-she hates it.
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
I just want to add that if you think she might be star gazing or staggering treat for it. I've never had either (knock on wood) bit from what all I have gathered it takes them down fast so we need to jump on it faster :)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I am treating her for both. My husband said she looked like she was wandering around instead of heading straight for the goat house last night.
I couldnt get thiamine inj so I am taking a few tablets and crushing them and putting them in a ball with some treats for her. I will give her the Penicillin. I hate giving her shots-she acts like I am killing her. Its every 6 hours so Ill be at this for a while. Any tips on the shots? I really just need someone telling me that the goat will hate you for a few days but then she will get over it. I love her so much I hate it when she is in pain or hating me. Thanks for the support.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant find the shots. Ill look at atwoods today. Her temp was 102.1
I already got about 1000mg of oral B1 into her. and 2 shots of Procain pen 7.5ml.each time per her weight. She seems to be feeling better but time will tell. Im gonna get another temp on her this am.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Fortied B complex has enough thiamine in it to help...even reg. b complex can be used..if it has 100 mg in it a reg. dose is fine but if it has only 25 MG thiamine init you will need to give 4 times the dose...orally will not cut it if she has polio...you got to do the shots...

give them Sub Q where the neck meets the body..lift a nice tent up and go for it..be sure not to go all the way through..feel that the needle is within the tent before injecting..
best wishes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts