The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a lot of threads lately for goats under the weather and goats with diarrhea. One of the first things you should be doing is having a fecal done. It is so important to know what parasites you are dealing with before treating. Here is a website that you can send your fecals in and have tested: http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/ - they charge $5 per sample. That is not expensive.

I realize there are times when the goat is so sick you just have to start treating. Do what you gotta do. But otherwise, start doing fecals on your goats. I would suggest doing them spring and fall at minimum. Start knowing what parasites are on your farm and when they seem to rear their ugly heads.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! I'm hoping to save a lot of goat breeders from having a resistant herd to all the current dewormers. Once your goats are resistant, you are in BIG trouble.

The other part of this is making sure you are doing the correct dosages. Just because someone is a vet, doesn't mean they know goats. I would verify on here for correct dosages. Underdosing is one of the worst things you can do with dewormers. Also get a weight on your goats. Guessing is not good. You would be surprised how far off you are.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I agree, this is so important, because you could be using the wrong wormer for that kind of worm, and if you keep switching wormers needlessly, your herd is going to grow resistant and that will be SO very stressful.

·
1,524 Posts
I do random fecals weekly. I only de-worm when I know what worm(s) the goats are dealing with and use the appropriate medication. Saves a lot of time, money and keeps the worms from becoming resistant. Plus, worming a sick goat with the wrong wormer is heading on the fast track to death.

Excellent post and reminder. A microscope is one of the best pieces of equipment a farmer can have. I also run fecals on my dogs and horses.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am interested in learning how to do my own fecals. The concept of seeing worm count under a microscope doesn't seem too difficult, but will I actually be able to identify the type of worm on my own?
2nd question - If I were to collect fecals on my herd and send them in (say, spring and fall as suggested), would I do this on individual animals, or just collect lots of poop and send in a "community" sample? If community is the answer, would you just assume that all of your goats have the worm, and should be treated?

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I would love to get a my own microscope one day , it would pay for itself in no time with all the dogs/puppies and the goats that we have
here from time to time. I like to do them in the spring and late fall.
I will do one or two goats , if its positive , the whole herd is going to get treated. If I have younger ones , they will each get tested separately . Its good to know what if anything you are dealing with before dipping into your arsenal supply. JMO

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Good Post!!! Three haven also has a good point....you should use a wormer until it no longer works..then switch...do not rotate your wormers..

I just got my micro scope in the mail...:D Thanks Karen for the reminder!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thank you for the site. I will be doing so as soon as possible just to be on the safe side. All I have to do is try to catch them when they are going so I know whose is who.

·
14,760 Posts
We bought the stuff earlier this year to do our own fecals. Since we had a vet do them throughout the year the past couple of years, we've learned that we deal with something very similar/treated same as a strongyle, but then we also get round worm. Usually Cydectin takes care of the strongyle-type parasite, while Ivermectin takes care of Round Worm.

So I agree, do a fecal so you know what to worm with. Worming can be a pain, but if you have an idea what your dealing with, then it does give you a better idea on how to treat it.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
This also counts for herbal wormers. Some areas struggle with different worms, and you may have to edit the wormer accordingly. I use a wormer with wormwood and cayenne in it, because that fights barber pole and cocci, which is rampant in our area.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just re-posting my question: Is anyone here doing your own fecals? Are you able to identify the TYPE of worm on your own? Anything you would recommend for a reference for a newbie?

Thanks!

·
558 Posts
Thanks for posting this site!! I am DEFINATELY going to use them.
The Vets around here charge $30 for each fecal and that doesn't include cocci.

:hammer:I have to admit this last time my doeling was acting off...tail down, playdough poo, pale eyelids etc. I bought a new wormer (Valbazen) for $30 rather than spend the $30 on the fecal. I hope since they are my first goats and have only been wormed once before (other than cocci prevention) with ivermec paste that I haven't caused a problem.
How quickly do they become resistant?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Well I got already to send out my three samples. Went to post office, ups and they sent me to shipping shack which is fed x.. I had it all packaged all I needed was the box to put it in and they had that and after I got the money order made out to pay for the samples they told me it would be 67 dollars to mail it next day which the company said to do.. Needless to say I didn't send it. Any ideas on how to send it next day in a water proof box for less money. I was so discouraged after that.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
If a goat herd has never been dewormed are they likely to be resistant to anything? I've never done a fecal. I'm a stay at home mom with no vehicle. I deworm after kidding....and that's usually it. I have dewormed the new goats tho. I used ivermectin on the adults. I used safe guard on the kids because its what I had available. I know. Bad plan. I have been looking for a microscope to learn to do my own but haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Another reason getting fecals are important: Subclinical coccidia is not accompanied by scours & can be at times difficult to detect. Learned of this the hard way :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts