The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I had made a lot of improvement with my little buck. I have been trying to get weight on him since I got him but not much luck. Two weeks ago his eyes were as pink and fleshy as any goat I’ve ever seen. I have been so busy with the knot on his neck with the vet and doctoring the knot with dexamethone shots I didn’t bother to look at famacha score. Yesterday he was eating his alfalfa and oats and when he finished I saw above his stomach toward his back end his sides were almost touching one another . You can place your hand over his backbone and almost touch your fingers together. I look at his eyes and they are a death white. I waited on a stool fecal this evening but he never did anything. I’ll try in the morning. I know I jump protocol but I gave him a selium dose of gel, 1-1/2ml of ivermetin injection, a B Complex injection shot 4 ml and a dose of replaime. This morning I gave him redcell of about 10 ml and same this evening with a garlic glove in a prune. He weighed 49 lbs in his hoof trimming session about 2 weeks ago. He is about 4-1/2-5 months old, not exactly sure. I am wondering now if he has some kind of problem that’s causing all his problems. Could be CAE? I hope not as he is a very friendly goat. The egg size knot on his neck that we thought might be CL is down now to the size and thickness of a penny. I need ideas as I am at a loss of what I need to do. He eats good and has been pooping good and urinating good. This evening when I watched for his pooping he was eating a little grass. This was after he had ate his alfalfa and grain. I have not done a temp yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a probiotics paste gel. Rumen bolus I’m not sure of. I have a cow probiotic bolus but it is a hard tablet about 1 inch long and 3/8 “ diameter. Why would this cause anemia? He had a copper bolus about a month ago.

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a probiotics paste gel. Rumen bolus I'm not sure of. I have a cow probiotic bolus but it is a hard tablet about 1 inch long and 3/8 " diameter. Why would this cause anemia? He had a copper bolus about a month ago.
I just looked and I also have a bolus that is for cows. It is 3 inches long and 3/4 inch diameter. It is a capsule that you can open up, inside it is yellow/white powder. I have used these on goats before by mixing the powder with warm water and drenching it. Would that work. They are 3-4 years old but kept in refrigerator all time. I just went out and looked, they are called rumen yeast caps for cows. Will this work? I could drench half in the morning and the other half tomorrow evening?

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Time to start over indeed. Its frustrating when you make progress only for something to happen and bring the goat back down.

I would do daily b complex, daily garlic, and daily probiotics.
Tummy tamer 3 times a day for 3 days then daily
Make sure he has access to browse foods as well as his alfalfa and hay
He needs to stay hydrated, provide both fresh water and electrolytes. If you don't see him drink..you may need to drench fkyids or get a sub q fluids in him.
Get that fecal! For anemia keep up with red cell once a day for a week..6 cc per 100 pounds after a week go to once a week.
30 cc of 50/50 acv and water
B 12 or b complex PLUS has a bit more B12 in it

Tummy tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippy elm
Acv
Molasses
20-30cc water
Mix and drench

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got my fecal back. No barberpole problem but very heavy in 2-3 types of Coccidia. Started him on Corid this evening. Can I keep giving redcell with Corid? I know not to give b complex until treatment is over.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Yes you can give red cell with corid. I would give them a few hours apart however just so they don't compete with each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts