The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a goat (not sure of breed) but she went off feed. Temp was ok last time checked but she has not enough rumen sound to me. I have been giving black beer, probiotics and about 4 cloves of garlic and a B Complex (6 ml) for the last 3-4 days. B Complex only 2 days in a row. She ate a little alfalfa pellets and will eat hay and green leaves. She has been shut up in a small pen for since I discovered her problem because it has rained every day and night here for 3-4 days. She is in the dry. This evening after I gave the beer and probiotics and she ate 4 large cloves of garlic I listen to rumen and for 2 minutes straight I got no sound. I then put my hands under her belly and picked up on her for 9-10 times and worked her rumen side back and to them listened, I heard the sound lowly like a sea tide makes then a loud rumen sound. I kept her penned for the night, and tomorrow she will get the herbal for rumen from fir meadows. I will try and do temp tomorrow eve when I come in from work at around 4:30pm. Hopefully if I can hear rumen sounds I'll release her. Anything I'm missing here? How often should I hear a sound when I put the stethoscope on her? How often between sounds? I think she is going to be ok but when I turn her out with the herd, she will be getting oats and alfalfa mixed half and half. That why she is penned up, to keep the rain off her and the oats out of her until she is well. I haven't seen her chewing her cud yet. You would think I knew the answers to this but I love your support and thoughts on your takes. I'll post her pic, what breed do you think she is?
IMG_4328.jpg

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty doe. Does she have Kiko in her? Can you steal a cud from another doe? (don't get bitten!)
I have never done that and don't really know how, but I have been bitten before. They have some strong bites. Not sure about the Kiko but maybe?

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked in the mouth of 3 goats with my finger and found no cud. Where do they keep it?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
She's so cute! Do you have herbs growing where you are such as sage, oregano, thyme? I've started using those as 'tonic' herbs for my goats, and they often seem to really like them. I just cut them from my garden. They're hardy, so they're green all winter (at least, through the fairly mild winter's we've been having).
Pine branches and dried oak leaves would be good to offer. My goats also like invasive honeysuckle. It grows everywhere here. The more natural food seems to help reset the rumen.
Keep an eye out for worms, as I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
To steal a cud you have to be graceful LOL and not mind the stink eye you will get after LOL. This video is great and the model goat is a crack up just chewing the cud..

In the mean time, don't forget some probiotics with her beer...sounds like she is already on the mend. You are a good herdsman to always. be on top of your herds health!!

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Probiotics and fortified vit b complex SQ for 3 days minimum, longer preferred, at least until she gets to feeling better and her rumen is functioning properly.

Good advice on stealing cud if her rumen is down.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the video for taking the cud but how do I give it to another goal? I see him putting it in a bottle of warm water but my volume is low on this video and I’m not sure what it is put in the bottle for. Is this to keep it for a longer spell or will the other goat drink it out of the bottle? Confused here? If I just put part of cud in my sick goats mouth, will that work? I’m lost here. Maybe I can find a head phone for my phone to listen better.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Did you try rumen boluses? (Drenching the cow rumen yeast caps).

Rumen should make noise several times a minute

·
8,163 Posts
Regarding the bottle of water: after you steal the cud- get the fine part out of the cud wad and keep that. Toss the long stem stuff. Put the cud in the bottle of 100ºF warm water, shake it up, take lid off and use you thumb to push the goat's side of the mouth over the gum- pour the cud water into the goat's mouth.

I think that putting cud straight from one goats mouth to another would make the goat spit it out. That is why you use the warm water- the warm water keeps the cud yeast alive (cold would shock it) and the goat has to swallow it.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding the bottle of water: after you steal the cud- get the fine part out of the cud wad and keep that. Toss the long stem stuff. Put the cud in the bottle of 100ºF warm water, shake it up, take lid off and use you thumb to push the goat's side of the mouth over the gum- pour the cud water into the goat's mouth.

I think that putting cud straight from one goats mouth to another would make the goat spit it out. That is why you use the warm water- the warm water keeps the cud yeast alive (cold would shock it) and the goat has to swallow it.
Ok, makes sense, so the little hole in the lid is for squirting into mouth of other goat, right? And the reason I couldn't fine the cud was that I was looking beside the teeth and outside jaw. He reaches back in the center of throat and drags it out. I tried after they had just finished eating. My guess is the cud is swallowed then and will show back up later? This is new to me. I want to swap a cud.
Ok, re-read, take lid off bottle and push goats mouth over gum???????? Don't understand that move. Wouldn't that cause possible getting liquid into lungs???

Reactions: MadHouse

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about drench gun, or is it too thick for that.?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
It can be confusing. The video sound is bad too. You have to wait until the goats are settled and watch for one to bring up a cud. Keep in mind the cud will feel warm and gross and smell to high heaven lol. Just good to be prepared lol. Also his goats are used to him doing this..im betting ours would not be so adorable and calm ;). This back teeth are razor sharp so keeping your thumb pushed firm acrossed the mouth as he shows is super important. You could use a wooden spoon handle but would have less control. This all will need to be done quickly before the goat knows what's going on and shallows their cud. Once you have it in the bottle..shake it up and remove the lid and pour into the goats mouth behind tongue slowly allowing her to swallow. A large syring with no needle or drenching gun should work as well. I think I would use the drenching syringe. Remember getting the cud from the host to the patient quickly is important. You want fresh fresh.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I let her out yesterday after 5 days in the holding tank. Lol. Her temp was 101.9, eyes look good and I heard rumen sounds. She had eaten most of her alfalfa pellets I gave her and I had given her another B Complex 6 ml. The first thing she did was run to trough where some other goats where eating oats and alfalfa pellets mixed 50/50. How often should you hear rumen sounds when you put the stethoscope on them? Left side low?

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear a low growling sound like it’s cooking then all of a sudden a loud sound like stomach rolling over. Does that make sense.?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts