Starting a Naming System

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by carrie307, Apr 1, 2014.

1. carrie307

carrie307 New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi! We just had our first kidding and want to implement a naming convention. We don’t have a large herd to track at this time, but like the traditional and whimsical aspect of it. I was wondering what conventions/rules/systems people out there are using. I originally read that a rule should be created from the doe’s name and all of her babies from that point on would follow the rule. (E.g. A doe named Bouquet could have all of her children named after flowers – Daisy, Iris, Rose, etc.) I think this sounds most interesting, but I’ve also heard of naming kids starting with the first letter of the doe’s name. (E.g. Bouquet’s kids would be Bonnie, Beauty, Bobby, etc.) Or naming all kids from all does with names starting with the year’s tattooing letter. (E.g. Tattoo year “D” – Kids would be named Darling, Debra, etc.) Any other naming systems out there? What is most common? Most useful? Most fun? Thanks!

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Right now, we are going by the Dam's name. Hera has Aphrodite and Athena. Cinnamon has Paprika and from her line we have Nutmeg and Mace. Whiskey had the 3 "rita's" last year....StrawbeRita, LimaRita, and MargaRita. And so on....

3. Emzi00

Emzi00 Active Member

May 3, 2013
    Michigan
    I like unique names, so I'm probably going to go with the tattoo year, and just be my creative self. I'll probably start that next year, since I'm just getting started. But the ones I've named so far, I haven't used any system. :)

4. NewbieNubian

NewbieNubian Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    I wanted to start a naming system this year using the tattoo letter for the year, but alas. So it looks like I'll name them based on their mothers' names.

5. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    I know of a couple herds that use part of the parents' names.

6. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I've made up my own convoluted system, but I have a very small herd.

So my starter dams are named after different ecosystem things.
    Ex. Cypress (Tree) - all her daughters are named after trees, so Juniper was last year (my J year, because I match my horse year letters...) This year if she has a doe to retain it will be named Kauri, next year it will start L.

Other does will be named after flowers, rocks, mountain ranges, etc. But the kids will all follow the year. By the time I get back around. So far it is working, but we will see how many years it takes before I come up with something else!

7. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm not much for cutesy poo names, so I usually use people names. I keep a list of names I like and then try to match them to each doeling based on her personality and behaviour. I don't name male kids because I raise goats for meat, and naming them makes it harder to sell them when the time comes.

8. Daisy-Mae

Daisy-Mae New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Are does name is Blue Jeans. We named her buckling Levi.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

9. LamanchaAcres

LamanchaAcres Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    We do the first letter of the does name... For example we have Addison, in 2012 Addie had Annie and Alex. In 2013 Addie had Ariel and Asher. This year Annie ( addies first daughter ) had a single doe and her name is Alice. We also have a izzie, her daughter ivy and ivys daughter imani ect. For our small herd ( 30ish ) It works well and so far have come up with names easyish.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

10. mommaof2coons

mommaof2coons New Member

Mar 27, 2014
    On a beautiful mountain
    My family is new to this site and have learned a lot from it. But wanted to let others know our unique naming system is off of old tv shows. Since we just started we have Giligan, mr. Howell, Mary Ann and our pregnant doe Ginger. My kids can wait to see if we'll have Lovey, Professer or Skipper any day now.

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

11. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    I do it in families...got that idea from a Devon Cattle Breeder book. lol.
    So one family's names all be begin with 'A' :Adelwiess, April, Anja. Another with 'D' : Daisy, D'Kezzi, Diamond.

A ear tag for Diamond will look like this: D4D. First 'D' is the family prefix. Number means she's the 4th kid born that year, And the last 'D' is the year letter.

12. AvyNatFarm

AvyNatFarm New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    NC
    I always do our farm name, the first initial of the dam's name and then whatever cute name we choose. Right now we are on an sweets theme. So, AvyNat F Cupcake had AvyNat C Cookie. :).

13. carrie307

carrie307 New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks!

Thank you all for your input! We decided to go with creating a rule off of the doe’s name. The doe-in-question’s name is Love Song, so all of her babies from now on will be named after music. (Perhaps with a yearly sub-rule. e.g. instruments, or genres of music.) We told the soon-to-be buyers the rule and let them choose the names. They chose “Jingle” and “Little Ditty.” Not sure if we will let the buyers name them in the future, since it takes away the fun for us.

Our second doe’s name is Primrose. She hasn’t been bred yet, but an idea for her rule is for her kids to be named after flowers, perhaps also following the yearly letter. (e.g. In year “D,” a kid could be named Daffodil or Daisy.) Might be harder for male names, though.

:ponder:[FONT=&quot][/FONT]