Starting out and a weaning ?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Won't have to worry about this for a long time (and hopefully my doe IS bred) but I just wondered how long does it usually take to wean kids? My doe should be due early May and our fair is the third week of July,and the goats would probably be in the same pen,so I was worried that the kids may not be weaned by then and would be nursing off their mom?

and another question, I plan on getting 1-2 does in spring to start into registered goats and showing,do you think it would be wiser to start out with a pair of doelings,or get a bred doe,or get a milker and a kid? I have a few goats in mind if anyone would like to critique them. I also like two breeds,Alpines and Lamanchas (although I am curious about Nigerians to but haven't seen many around here) so not sure if I should just pick one breed or get both. Any ideas/opinions are welcome :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have a kid born in June of 2009 and here in January 2010 she is still nursing. So no they will not be weaned (though you can separate them to create teh weaning process.)

Most moms will let their kids nurse for months and months. You wont htink they are nursing because you wont see it but they are believe me!

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have seen some kids be seperated from mom for just a couple weeks and when put back in mom won't let them nurse or they have no desire to nurse, I have also seen kids that will be seperated for four months go back in with mom and she'll let the kids nurse even if she's dried out, and that will bring her back into milk sometimes. So it will kind of depend. I actually bought a mom and daughter together, the daughter was a year and a half and one day I caught her nursing off her momma!!

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Usually kids that I sell are weaned by 10 weeks of age. I start around 6 or 7 weeks of age I separate them from mom for 6 hours a day each day for a whole week, the next week they are separated for 12 hours--usually each night for a week, the 3rd week they are separated for 18 hours & the last week they are completed separated.
    If you are bringing the kids & mom to the fair but the kids are still nursing..maybe separate the kids the night before the show--put them in a kennel or a separate pen..that way mom can have a nice udder for the show & when you're done showing her the kids can go back in with her.
    I love my nigerians so I highly recommend that everyone should have at least a few :) It depends on how much room you have & how many you hope to get your herd up to. I like to solely focus on one breed. If you only have a few goats & are trying to figure out what breed is your fancy, then go for it.

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    The only problem is that they have to be in place on Monday,but the goat show isn't until Wed,or else that would work well. I think that's what I am going to do,I only have 2 does right now and plan on selling one of them after she kids,so maybe I could try both and see if I prefer one breed over the other,and then go from there. It actually looks like I got it figured out about getting a pair of does right now though,will have to talk to the current owner and my parents in a bit to make sure everything is ok first though. :thumb: In the case that this does work out,maybe for fair I could get two pens,one for the adult does and one for the kids.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is this a 4H fair? then your leader should understand that you need to have a separate pen for the kids for the night before the show so that they are in full milk at show time.

7. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah it's for 4-H. You have to ask for extra pens,or you only get one,but they would still be side by side,and could reach through,so maybe we could just add more boards to the bottom of one pen so the kids wouldn't be able to nurse

8. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

We use snow fence or any other cheap fencing for at the shows to zip-tie around the inside of the pen so our goats don't go through.