The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! We are getting two pygmy kids in a week or two. My dad raised pygmies for ten years and is helping us get all set up. He found our babies on a farm - born March 27 and 29. This is not a breeder - but all his goats are pygmies. I'm concerned about diseases, defects, etc. thinking of a conditional pickup at about 10 weeks old, then straight to the vet, and insisting he take them back if all is not well. We did go visit them already, but I don't know enough to be sure they are good, healthy pygmies. They are for pets only. Two females. Thanks for any advice. (I can not see what I'm typing - apologies if typos?).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok that posted in full - I wanted to add that my dad had pedigree pygmies and breed for 10 babies over the time he raised goats. He's purchased us a beautiful mini barn which he is fitting with stalls, feed boxes etc. we might decide to breed our pygmies only for the experience for our children and grandchildren, not for any profit. Not sure if "farm" pygmy mommies will produce kids we can sell. Perhaps we will milk someday - but that's not the goal. We are in the suburbs with a 1.8 acre property but had to get a variance for goats. Two is our legal limit. :-/. Thanks all, for any advice!

·
Registered
29,958 Posts
welcome to the forum : )

When chooseing a new goat or in this case your first goats..the first thing Im sure of is that the place is clean..well clean for a farm lol...that the goats look well cared for and loved...ask for thier protocal on vaccinations, worming, what they use and how often..are moms of the kids in good condition, no swollen knees, good udder ( even if you dont want to breed them you want healthy udders) under or over bites..good strong legs..?? ALSO make sure NO ONE has lumps..Google CL locations in Goats and note the areas to check on ALL the goats you can see..if you see any...look else where for your goats..no need to start off dealing with CL...also Do they have glossy coat, bright eyes and alert..is most everyone chewing a cud? most things that can be wrong is visual...so take your time..really take a good look..Plus take your dad :D He alredy has experiance in what a healthy goat should look like and what good pygmy features are...once they babies are about 6 months old you can have your vet draw blood to test for CAE....

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
One other thing to think of of is, even if all their goats are healthy, is there any other reason they are selling these these particular two? Such as bad temperament, conformation, or genetics, etc. If they are being culled, you may not want them.
Also, I think you could easily sell kids from purebred pygmies. I believe there is a demand for pets, but it'd really depends on your area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice so far. We saw the herd at this farm and although we didn't examine them, he had at least 30 pygmies, in a spacious grazing area. Several came to greet us and one stayed and stayed, enjoying a head massage. The kids were in the barn in stalls with their mamas and the lighting was not good so now I'm a little nervous. My human kids are already in love and so excited about picking them up on Monday.... This farm is small and part time, the man has a full time day job. He lets all his pygmies mix - he doesn't know who fathered which kid. He had six to choose from, of various ages from 8-12 weeks. He doesn't mind if they don't sell, says he sells most of his for milking or for meat. He keeps most of them. He says they were wormed but we need to get them vaccinated. It's all a bit awkward because my dad found this farm and already PAID for the goats but we left them nurse from momma while we prepped our mini barn etc. I'm a nurse and reading too much maybe --- getting scared! We have a highly recommended goat vet scheduled to see the kids on our way back from picking them up. The farm is 2.5 hours from us, in south central PA, near the MD border. Oh my...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, tomorrow is the day we pick up our babies! We feel better about the decision. Did a lot of reading and printed out summaries. Talked to the "best goat vet around" (Nancy Freeman, Longwood, PA) who was very helpful, and asked a lot of questions of the breeder/farmer, who raises only pygmies. We will take our girls straight to the vet after picking them up and have them checked over. SO EXCITED!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts