The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
:ROFL: Many actually. I grew up in the smuggling capital of Oregon. Very interesting things would show up on the beach when Port Authority was on the docks.

What about daycare or better yet night care for graveyard and swing shift workers, very difficult to find. What is your talent? That could be an asset.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"Jack (Jane) of several trades.. Master of none."
I have equine , nursing , daycare, warehousing, farm hand, Asset Protection/security experience. I am currently an Avon Representative after 10 yrs... but sell mostly just to family and friends. I'm a mother of four children; oldest is 20 yrs and youngest is 6 yrs old. I love agriculture and enjoy being self- sufficient as possible. I still work in the nursing field. I have always worked grave yard shifts to work around my family's schedule.
At my age I just want to slow down a bit.. enjoy life without the working rush.. and all the hussle 'n bussle. I love my life with my family and farm animals. I just want to bring in some sort of reliable income... while staying home!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I work at home doing medical transcription. It would probably be a fairly easy transition for you from the nursing field if you took an at-home course in transcription. I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you're hoping to make a very good living, though. Up until a few years ago it was a great career, but things have changed a lot in the last 5 or so years. Work is harder to come by, and the pay is much less than it used to be. Good luck in whatever you decide to do! :)

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
What about being a Pampered Chef Rep.? Since you already sell Avon, it would be pretty much the same thing. You can set up different parties and invite people to them. Then you can explain about the different products and get people interested in buying them through you.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
If you have any kind of crafty inclinations, custom sewing could be a pretty good business. You could sew anything or just one category - i.e., baby clothes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I like the idea of medical billing. I will look into it. As for sewing... I use to make individualized tote bags. It was only for fun and I made it for family and friends. Don't think it would be a steady income though. And as for pampered chef.. My sister sells it. I am more interested in staying home, but good idea. I make soap and love it! I make it and give it away as gifts.
Thanks again!

·
14,760 Posts
I hear ya, I am in the same boat. I haven't worked a regular job since June 2006 when I was pregnant with our youngest daughter. I got into photography, but am not into portrait photography lol I live in horse country, and work on and off through the year for a website photographing the races at our local track, horse sales, and a couple of other horse events. Sometimes I get lucky and make a little more $$, sometimes I don't. Sports Illustrated once paid $1000 for one of my photos!

My youngest will be in 1st grade this coming school year and I want to find a regular job, but I have to have something with a flexible schedule/part time. There are a lot of things I want to do, and I'd like to have the $$ to put into the goats, but I need something that will still allow me to do the horse stuff throughout the year.

With gas prices, etc. I really wish there was a way I could make a decent income from home.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If someone finds something that makes decent money I want to know too. I stay home with the children and animals and we are just getting further into debt everyday. It is coming to the point that in a year when both of the boys are finally in school I will probably have to sell out of most of the animals and get a "real" job.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The problem is that jobs everywhere aren't guaranteed money and a lot aren't even steady. Even jobs outside the home. You get one, they downsize. My husband left his job (before he was laid off) a few years ago. I have a business at home. We just tightened our belts, gave up a lot of 'things', work as much as we can and moved on so we could make it on less money. So far so good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts