staying in the barn?????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....this winter has been so bad and this was my first with the goats and they have spent a lot of time in the barn this winter......they are about 10-11 months old.......well now that the weather is getting nice they still want to be in the barn......is this normal and what should I do? They will go out in the yard and play as long as I'm out there, the minute I leave the yard to go back to house they run back into the barn :hair: ! I am thinking this is because the barn is their safe haven. I didn't know if I should lock them out of the barn, I don't want to stress them :shrug:.
    Thanks in advance for any advice! Denise

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I lock mine out of the barn - but I be mean momma - so hubby calls me.

My boys are in an extra large barn stall for winter because DH thought that a buck pen was unimportant last summer till it was to late - and so now they are in there. But I run them out to the horse pen whenever it is not raining and make them stay out there to stretch their legs and get some sunlight and fresh air. It is good for them!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They'll learn how much nicer it is to lay in the sunshine and fresh air, just leave the door open....they'll be fine knowing that they can come and go as they please.

Summertime, since mine are so close to the house, I leave the door open at night as well, most times I'll turn on the floodlight and see them all bedded down out in their yard....won't sleep in the barn.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I shut the barn door and lock it too, when it is really nice and sunny out. So, I think that should be just fine for you to do that. :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others... to close them out during the day.. if the weather is nice.... :wink:

something that might help is... to feed them out of the barn......good luck.. :)

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Personally, I don't like shuting mine out of the barn--but I have also never had a problem with them not wanting to go outside. It's been really nice out for the past few days and I don't think the goats have been in the barn at all.

Try putting all of their hay and water outside and, if you give them any grain, feed them that outside as well when the weather is good. I have hay bags, and if I know it's not going to rain, I always put their hay in those and hang them outside. If it's rainy, I obviously have to put their hay in the inside racks.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's funny, my goats would WAY rather be outside than in the barn!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know ....mine do to... :scratch:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I lock mine out of the barn if it's nice out. They still have hay, water and all the essentials outside, so I don't feel bad.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i dont have a door :shrug: but I have one doe who refuses to come out if it is cold or snowing or raining etc. but during the nice weather they are always outside.

11. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    My goats wouldn't do much outside at first either. They were in the barn all winter except when we could let them out and watch them very closely because we didn't have a suitable fence at the time. We finally got the area fenced in, but they thought we should be out there with them all the time! They tried their darnedest to escape so they could be with us. Then when they couldn't they would call us and sound pitiful. They finally adjusted though, and have started to roam the paddock and enjoy themselves. I think given time yours will adjust.

12. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    UMM.. I wouldn't lock my girls out. There have been days that they prefer being in rather than out, and with us that is OK. now that it is warming up I find that they lounge about outside for most of the day, but do take occasional retreats to the indoors. I guess my thought is if they want to be inside there must be a reason (feel safer or more comfortable). But that is just me..

Jennah

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I understand where you are coming from...and your concern...I do... :hug:

But....goats do need to be outdoors sometimes and when they will not go outside at all ...that isn't healthy for them.....I really don't know why those goaties... will not venture out doors on there own...but to encourage them on a nice day... to stay out there...when you can keep an eye on them ...is very innocent and safe ...to lock them out.......it is not to put them into danger.....it is letting them feel the warmth of the sun and fresh air....to be able to run around and play.....especially if cdtrum ....can't seem to get them to stay out doors without her holding their hoof...LOL :wink:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I can hardly get mine INSIDE. They love it.

Do you have a lot of snow? Maybe that is the problem. If thee is a lot of snow they might not to step in it. I know when it is really bad here (Have not had that problem in two years), the sink in the snow and that really scares them.

15. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I just started letting my does out, they have been shut up in the barn all winter (course there are windows for light and I left the door open for air) now I just open their pen door and lock up the hay, bungy cord the grain cover down and let them have run. we have about 3 feet of snow on the ground so they cant really get into their pasture area, they are happy just to walk in my barn path and up to the front door of the house, they never even try to go down the driveway, guess I am lucky, lol

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are probably all tuckered out after you played with them and then they just want to rest in a familiar location

17. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    This might just be me, but I would just open the door and let them go where they want. I bet they would soon find that they like the outside better, if they don't well they know what they like.

Is there another reason that you don't want them in the barn? I know that I have kicked the horses out because I want to do a good cleaning or I have a specific reason I don't want them in there, otherwise they go where they wish. The goats don't have a barn really, just shelter.

18. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I leave the barn door open and they can come and go as they like. One of them Lillie is kind of ornery and she would rather be by herself so she can often be found in the barn when all of the others are outside. I wouldn't let it bother you they might just prefer inside right now. Your goats are kind of young so they might not know what wonderful adventures they could be having in the sun!