The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two pygmys, they're both around 5 months old. Winter is coming and I want to keep them warm without making them sick. It's just starting to get cold and the youngest (who is part angora) is shaking from the cold. They do have a small lean to inside their 4 walled shed to help them keep in body heat at night. What do you use to keep your goats warm?

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
We haven't got anything yet, but there are goat-coats in the making. Supposedly, they help a fair amount. If you can sew, knit, or crochet you may be able to make some of your own. If not, there are some places selling them. There may be used ones on craigslist or quality home-made ones on etsy. Hope that helps!

·
14,615 Posts
Yes deep straw bedding. Good hay like alfalfa for fuel.
Goats can take some pretty wicked temps as long as they & their housing is dry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the goat coats. My mom is afraid they'll try to eat them. Using dried grass as a good layer if bedding. Trying to get straw right now. Does anyone heat their goat pens?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I just make sure they have good clean, dry bedding and haven't had any issues of cold goats :) they are pretty hardy :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah we are getting a like 9lb weanling (?) buckling in 2 weeks.... I plan to put him a knit sweater and bed him in deep straw.... I dont plan on going to go the heater route (he is a small Nigerian Dwarf)...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Yeah we are getting a like 9lb weanling (?) buckling in 2 weeks.... I plan to put him a knit sweater and bed him in deep straw.... I dont plan on going to go the heater route (he is a small Nigerian Dwarf)...
I have a young LaMancha doeling.. She gets a little coat at night and that's it :) she seems pretty cozy :) and I haven't started bedding with hay/straw yet :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'm shopping for coats now. Speaking of which; what are your thoughts on those doggie sweaters with the Halloween designs on them?

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I would be careful of anything that another goat could rip off. I just buy the cheap coats and sweaters at Walmart. Got mine for like 2 or 3 dollars a piece at the end of a winter season.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would not worry unless they are in the open and can not get away from the draft. Like others said dry straw is all they need and good food free choice all day and night.

·
Registered
637 Posts
you said your goat was shaking with cold!!! I dont see how a little knit sweater (see Petco.com) would hurt, am looking at the doggie ones too...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not worry unless they are in the open and can not get away from the draft. Like others said dry straw is all they need and good food free choice all day and night.
I wish I could do free choice but they'll never stop eating. They eat till their bellys are alarmingly distended. I do feed hay in the morning and at night with browse and a little hay around midday.

·
8,197 Posts
A problem with putting on a coat now, is when it gets colder, you'll have to get thicker coats! As long as they are draft free, dry and have plenty
of fresh (warm in winter) water, they should grow thick coats. Of course, young goats need time to get the hair growth.
Like what was said, thick clean straw is the best thing!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Is ok for them to eat straw? It seems like they eat everything they can.
Mine will eat a bit of it when I first put it down. :) it's fine won't hurt them any :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts