Stealing a Cud Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bleatinghearts, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    OK...have you ever been successful stealing a cud from one goat to give to another. I understand that this is the best way to get another goats rumen back in working order but it sounds like a very tricky task. I have had my fingers deep in a goats mouth when I was concerned about one choking and their teeth are sharp! If you were successful, did you like, sneak up on it or is a cud something they are willing to give up if you just ask nicely? :shrug:

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    If your worried about those back teeth, I would suggest wearing gloves . :) Wait until you see them chewing their cud and reach in there and swipe some. Really depends on the goat on how willing they will be to cooperate.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hee hee. Sit up a camera when you do it. Might be good youtube veiwing... :ROFL:

Gina

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When you see a big wod(sp) of cud in their cheek....have someone hold the goat or tie it up.... have a soft stick in hand..no rough or sharp edges and open the mouth and swipe it out from the cheek.... a goats back teeth ...can take a finger off if you aren't careful.... If the goat in need of the cud.. isn't really bad...you can use the probiotic paste .....

5. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    That brings me to another question I've been wondering about. What about ProBios (product name) ? Does that do the rumen any good or does a person have to use a probiotic just for ruminants? And if a person is bottle feeding, would that product be better than the rumenant kind because its going into the abomasum and it would be more like a monogastric's stomach?

6. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    Try taking the cud from an older doe if you have one,the teeth will be worn down some and may not be as sharp.I would still try the stick method though,them goats can bite hard.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Probiotic Paste.. made for ruminants is best....for adults :wink:

Yes ProBios...can be used on a kid that's ruminant hasn't started yet......to help to digest milk.... :wink:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California