The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im really worried now. Stewy is 4 months old and started getting diarrhea 2 days ago. I started probotics and electrolytes and yesterday his poop was better now today it's diarrhea again. Please help. Also gave him worm meds.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
what worm meds did you use? Has he has cocci treatment? take his temp see if there is fever as well...
Give him 6-8 cc pepto ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used safe_ guard. I am taking fecal in tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
a fecal would be a very good idea..see if your wormer is working..I would also ask for it to be checked for cocci...

If worms are the problem, choose Valbazen which also gets liver fluke.Your vet will most likely not test for liver fluke, so better to use a wormer that covers it..

if cocci treatment is needed Dimethox is a better OTC choice...Sulmet next choice and Corid the very last choice..If you end up with Corid..make sure to have Thiamine (B1) or Fortified Vit B on hand to give him after treatment.

check lower inner eye lids for anemia...if he is anemic then red cell and vit B 12 will help restore red blood cells...

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Safeguard only treats tapeworms and pinworms if it still works for you. A fecal is definitely in order. Make sure they check for coccidia.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I have been motoring his lower lids and they pale the day before yesterday and today they are back to pale. Now his find are a little pale is that a problem?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now he just pooped and it is more solid now but I believe he does have worms, there we're a couple REAL little white specs. Just a couple. Sound like worms.jpg?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
if you see worms its Tape worms..Valbazen will take care of that..need to use it three times at least...

pale eyes is a sign of anemia, which will weaken a goat, until he cannot eat, becomes lethargic..
treatment:
First you need to worm, take care of why they are anemic..SOunds like tape is one of the issues..but a fecal will see if there are other worms as well..Valabazen will take care of a very large number of different worms
then they need:
Red Cell..6 cc per 100# orally,daily for a week then once a week until you see good color
Vit B 12 is from the vet...4 cc per 100# Sub Q daily until good color returns

Offer high protein feed, alfalfa and fresh leaves to help rebuild red blood cells
include plenty of shade and plenty of water/electrolytes..

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
You really need to take a fecal sample in to the vet and find out what all worms your goat has. He can certainly have multiple types of worms and may need more than one dewormer to take care of them all. At this point, I would say a fecal is critical and make sure they also check for coccidia.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
substitute for red cell?

Everything is closed is there a home remedy??? Just want to make sure he makes it through the night. I already lost one baby can't take losing Stewy!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what is neomycin used for?

My hubby bought some neomycin..what is this used for?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So should I use this on Stewy that has diarrhea?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Molasses has iron in it...the black strap is best if you can get it.......
any human iron pill can be crushed add water and drench...

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
yes you can use it...if Stewys problem is bacterial..it will help..follow the instruction on the bottle...
My concern is if he has cocci...he needs a different treatment...if you can have a fecal done...grab dimethox, Sulmet or corid and get him started...if you use Corid pickup Fortified B complex to use after treatment..to restore any Thiamine he may have lost..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts