The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite doe kidded in December. The first kid was a very large buck kid and then a twin buck. The first one was still born and stuck partially delivered, she could not finish the job on her own. I pulled the dead kid and the second arrived fine. Shortly after delivery she got VERY thin and started to limp. Her pelvis seemed out of wack, she limps on her front right leg and won't gain any weight. We sold her surviving kid back in March. We have dewormed with Ivermectin +, tried BoSe, copper, iron and B complex. We also massage and work with the off center pelvis and sore leg. I can not get her back in condition. She eats but has very limited movement. Little interest in water. No temp. She quickly went from being the best in the herd and a prolific milker to the bottom of the totem pole. Any thoughts? We are just sick about it! SHe just looks at us like "help". :(

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Are her knees bigger than they were before? Does she pick the leg up and hold it? I believe I would give some serious thought to testing her for CAE and for Johnes. In the meantime, can you separate her so she doesn't have to walk far for hay and water and give her grain or pelleted feed?

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
I would also get a fecal done and make sure to include coccidia. Ivomec doesn't take care of all worms and she might have other worms and/or coccidia.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
You say her pelvis seemed out of wack?

Her hip may be out of socket. Can you get her in the vet for an xray? The vet will be able to put it back in if it is out.

I agree on the cocci and worms get a fecal.

If her rumen is off, give her Probiotics and Fortified vit B complex shot for 3 days or more.
Any Ruminant movement or sounds on left side?

How are her gums and lower eyelid color? Pale pink, dark pink or white?

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
I agree with all that has been said...
test for both CAE and Johnes,
Have a fecal done and include cocci,
and discuss her hip/pelvis issue with your vet..
Probios and Vit B complex are great to give..again I agree with bringing her food and water close and perhaps in her own oen so others dont bully her..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet is scheduled for Thursday. Switching from injectible BoSe and vitamin B to a gel form. She used to just love me but lately she assumes that if I am there she is getting a shot. Thought the gels would be less stressful. She has been on Fastrack for Pro Biotic. She has her own pen and she was lonely so we tucked a newbie in there that is not much more than 5 or 6 months to keep her company. I had thought about the CAE and the Johne's. I was in denial - don't like the idea of what it means for her and the entire herd in those cases but I guess it is better to know than to wonder and spread it more. Got some herbs and ointments from Fir Meadow for stiffness and skinniness. Will keep trying and see what vet says Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
I know your fear about testing...I waited for ever before testing mine...I just didnt want to know ...but me waiting didnt change the fact if they are positive or not...it just exposed my herd longer than I should have. Its hard...but needed.
To help with her stiffness and weight loss, try ground flax seed, wheat germ mixed in with Coconut oil, make a paste...Flax helps with inflammation and is added fat she could use..the wheat germ helps with skin. Coconut oil has many benefits but here is to add healthy fat and gloss to her coat ...I gave two tablespoon daily to my two saanen who struggled putting weight back on and had dry flaky skin ....it helped a ton. And they loved it and ate it right off the spoon..Best wishes : )

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well........that was frustrating! No Johne's and no CAE but no answers. Maybe something metabolic. ???????? Thankful for what its not but still wish we knew what it was. :(

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I am glad all the tests were negative. that is wonderful.
See if you have a Chiropractor around that will work on her. Mine is wonderful, he treats the horses, goats and dogs.

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
That is awesome news! I know its frustrating not to have answere to her problem..but knowing what it is not is a huge help!! Sometimes with goats all we can do is rule out until there is only one thing left...
I agree with Lori...she might be out of line. Physical Therapy might be the answer...When my mini donkey gave birth to Samuel, he was stuck and I had to assist..She couldnt use her right back leg at first, she would step down on it and it would just slide out from under her...I freaked..I never delivered a donkey before and thought I pulled him wrong..I began deep messages and bending movements..took about 45 minutes before she was able to use it..Im sure that was a mild case of pinch nerve, but might want to look into some kind of therapy to see if it helps..even if the chiropractor cant come out..maybe he can give some tips ...in the mean time keep her on B complex which will help her appitite and energy..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Oh, that is wonderful news! I would agree with sweetgoats and see if I could find a chiropractor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts