Still alive

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Pretty sad when your high-five moment is not killing anything. Still bottle feeding two and, so far, they're doing just fine. Moved them off colostrum and on to milk replacer without incident.

Learned about milk scours and how to clear that up.

Figured out it's cute to have house goats for about a day, then we started kicking them outside after the temp comes up a little in the am. Except the goats started thinking they were part of the family and didn't track with the transition. So when we whistle for the dogs we get two dogs and two goats wheeling in the door.

When we kick them outside they stand by the back door and holler about the unfairness of it all. The dogs get to stay inside, why can't we? Not FAAAAIIIIIRRRRRR!!!!!

But they're doing good. Always hungry, always under foot when it's near feeding time, sucking down more and more milk replacer. They're actually growing and putting on weight faster than their siblings out in the field.

Got to start figuring out the weaning transition. They have access to hay and grass but so far, not interested.

The buck is going to be just like his daddy. Wide stance, heavy build. His shoulders are already getting muscle definition. He pays attention to things, he's pushy and already trying to hump his step-sister. He's either going to get banded or sold before he matures.

The doe isn't as pushy, but she's smart. After a day outside she figured out how to slot up under the covered trailer with the quail. This did not go over particularly well with the quail. They milled around outside, indignant they had to share their primo shelter. After a while practicality won out and they all hang out there together.

Quite the zoo we have going.

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Glad to hear of your success! :stars: :hair:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am glad the remaining two you have are doing well. :stars:

as to how to introduce solid foods -- put them out with the goats once they are a couple weeks old and then they will figure it out pretty quickly :thumb:

4. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I love your posts :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is terrific news... they are doing well.... :thumb: :greengrin:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
  7. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for the props, gang. :shades: Too bad there's a ghost trail of failures leading up to the two successes. I should make up a cold baby triage card. Had the right idea, but there are some small details that make a big difference. Like getting that body temp up before pushing any fluids.

And getting to them as soon as possible. With my critters here, there's a cold point where they're still alive but too far gone to bring back. YMMV. Both the ones that made it got warmed up inside of 2 hours. Those that died were outside a lot longer.

And the ratio for the warm up juice. 2 cc's each of strong coffee, kayro syrup and whiskey. I skipped the whiskey and it worked okay. I drink once in a great while but ever since an unfortunate teenage incident with Jack Daniels, I have a bad reaction to the smell or taste of whiskey.

Having actual kid colostrum at the farm supply store really helped and they also stocked a milk replacer specifically formulated for goats. Some people don't believe in commercial milk replacer, but mine seem to be doing fine. Also keep in mind there were some unfortunate incidents in the near past where ingredients from overseas had toxic chemicals added to increase the protein level. I believe the Chinese executed a couple people over those incidents which tends to clear up the problem rather decisively.

I found a 15 cc syringe works better than any of the nipples at any of the farm supply stores. You guys may know which brands work better, but none of the commercial ones I tried worked worth a darn, even after making the nipple opening bigger.

Stick to the feeding instructions on the box, unless you enjoy cleaning up after milk scours.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear all is well.

Yep, I have only ever had one bottle baby, and it took her FOREVER to realize she was NOT a dog. One day I could not find her at all. We looked every where, we got in the car and drove, she was gone. I was SICK to my stomach, because I brought that little girl back to life, (she was born dead).

We finally decided to go to bed. Guess where she was? IN MY BED. OK then I wanted to kill her. She came in the doggie door.

9. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

oh my goodness, sweetgoats! :ROFL: :ROFL:

10. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I can SO see that now. :slapfloor: :ROFL: For a couple hours she was thinking, "Now this is more like it."

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely a wonderful story! Glad that you have at least 2 PITA'S!!!!

12. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Lori, that has to be about the funniest thing I have heard in my life!!!! :ROFL:

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Aww. Good job. I'm glad it's working out well so far.

14. Well, nice work and it looks like she has told you who is boss. LOL

15. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    You have done a fabulous job!! Congratulations!!! :cool:

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Forgive my ignorance. But what is a PITA? Other than that greek sandwhich pocket? LOL

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    PITA= Pain in the A-- ( south facing end of a north bound goat )

18. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    :ROFL:
    I am totally using that someday.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: Well...I thought it a fitting "term" because I think we all love our goaties regardless of how much a PITA they can be :love:

and it's a very nice way to "say it" :angel2:

20. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    That is really true. Our bottle babies are still doing okay, but they're not catching on to the weaning thing. And they won't stay in the pasture. Sweet Pea looked like she was going to go with the herd today but chickened out.

The rest of the herd doesn't want them around, so they huddle up together on their own.

I put them out in the hay rack and they'll brave the electrified web wire to get back to the house. There's a lot of voltage in that fence and they just lump the zaps. I know that thing hurts like a mother because I've been bit by it. You can spot weld with the spark from that thing.

They're cute but they're really demanding. Ugh. Constantly under foot. I've almost tripped and one of them is going to get stepped on. It's cute to be able to whistle for the goats like a dog, but the cuteness wears off real fast.

We're going to be out of milk replacer tomorrow, so what do I do? Keep feeding them or just cut them off? Their teeth are coming in. Still the runts of the litter but they're healthy enough.