Still confused about CAE!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RMADairyGoats, Oct 24, 2011.

1. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    I am trying to sort through all this information, but I keep getting more confused. I found out today that a friend of ours had a doe test positive for CAE. She does not show and has bought no outside goats since purchasing her original starter herd which she has now had for about 4 years. The one doe tested positive and yet her yearling buckling who belongs to someone else tested negative!!! :? He was dam raised. How is this possible? :chin:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the test for CAE is only for the antibodies and not the actual disease. The doe probably just has antibodies for the disease and not the actual disease itself. Its also possible that she just didnt pass on the antibodies through the milk. I would have the doe and buck retested through WADDL or biotracking a state lab etc

3. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    So a goat could test positive and then negative when retested? I know the blood was pulled by a vet and sent to a reliable Lab for testing. If a positive test doesnt necessarily indicate they have the disease how do you know if there is a danger to your other goats?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you dont know --- thats the problem with the tests

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, goats can test positive and then negative. It helps to know the exact numbers to know if they were borderline pos/neg.

It also depends on if their immune system was down or not. If their immune system is down then they will probably test negative even if positive.

A true positive animal will always test high positive or at least their number will always be going up higher positive. Of course "positive" only means they have antibiodies.. but if the antibiodies are always going up then it's probably because they are fighting the infection for longer and longer.

6. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks for the info RunAround ;)

7. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    So want is a high number?

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    A false positive could also be a factor, if it's only been tested once.

I consider 70-90 high numbers. For the BioTracking test, 40+ inhibitors are positives. Highest I've ever had was a 92.

9. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thank you Amos! :hug: CAE is more tricky than you might think! :scratch:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you really want to know all the info and have time, go to Dr. MacIntyer at Air Way in the Springs.

I have had several of my 4Hers go to him with questions about things for their Demo's. He is WONDERFUL.

11. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks Sweetgoats! We were indeed going to ask Dr. MacIntyer or Dr. Smith. We have used both before for many goatie issues and disbudding. They are really good vets ;) :thumb: