Still coughing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Hi, I had recently posted in sparks topic (coughing ) about my 4 month old pygmy doeling that had a cough. She had it back in january and the vet had me give her and her brother ( also coughing) antibiotics for 5 days. His went away and hasn't come back. Her cough went away but came right back. She is on the small side( only about 20pounds) and he is bigger. Anyway trob1 had recomended worming for lung worms so last wend I did that. But the cough has not changed. She is acting fine, no temp, no discharge from eyes or nose. Eating fine. But the cough is more then just an occasional cough. I don't know what to do. If the worming didn't do anything should I guess that it wasn't lung worms? I spoke with the breeder and shes never had a problem with them, nor have I. None of the other goats are coughing. I do have an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon. But with the weather right now not sure how that will go. Oh, when she coughs it sounds like she is congested but when I listen with the stethescope she isn't congested.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you given her any nutri drench orally or any vetRx in her nose?

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    The treatment for lungworms is Ivomec injectable orally every 10 days for 3 treatments and the cough may or may not go away depending on how long they have had them and how much damage was done. Also it could be lung damage due to previous pnumonia that caused lung damage and will take time to heal.

If she were my goat I would continue the ivomec treatments till done and see what happens and if the cough is still bad I would send a poop sample for a test to check for lung worms. It is a special test and you will need to ask for them to check for lung worms specifically.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Can you use the Ivomec horse paste for lung worms?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I gave my goat VEt RX and it cleared up. I sue the ivermectin paste for lung worms. I just gave everyone another dose of it yesturday, ten days after the first dose just in case they had ling worms as well.
    beth

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks for all the input. I have given her nutri drench. But I cannot find the vetrx. When I asked at TSC I got the "dumb" look from the girl. I took her to the vet today and she confirmed pretty much what I already had; lungs clear as were her eyes and nose. No Heart murmer. She did run a fecal to check for lung worm eggs( took awhile) she said she didn't see any, but a fecal isn't 100%. She is thinking maybe allergies. But the cough is more in her trachea. When she pushed there Faith started coughing. She is only 4 months old so lung damage is unlikely as she never had pnuemonia. And she only started coughing about 1 month ago. The vet said if it is lung worms though she recommends, 3 days of safegaurd. But I just did the 1st ivermectin treatment 7 days ago. If it were lungs worms does anyone have any info on this?? I have always thought safegaurd was pretty much just good for tapeworms. And whats the doseage if safeguard is better? She only weighs 20 pounds( weighed her today too) I know someone said thats small for a 4 month old pygmy.

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    You can do what the vet says if you want but 3 days of safeguard if it still works in your area still will only kill the adults and in 10 days new ones will hatch and the cycle will start over again. If you have the ivomec and have already started the first treatment why stop? If lungworms is not the problem the ivomec will not hurt her but if it is the problem it might help and she should be good and worm free for awhile.

8. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    trob1; that is pretty much what I am going to do- the ivomec. I don't trust safeguard for worms, it doesn't work in this area. I was thinking the same thing as you already said about the 3 days only killing the adults. And like you said- I already started the ivomec treatment. Thanks for the input

9. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I had the same problem with one of my little ones when she was the same age ...she would cough so hard it really scared me. It turned out that she was just reacting to her new environment and the hay I used for bedding. It was old hay that was very dusty and as soon as I switched to a combination wood chips and new hay bedding she stopped. It sometimes is the simple things that we overlook. Could just be allergies or dust. Are you feeding her close to the ground or in a dusty area?

The VetRX is definitely worth a try as well.

KatC.

10. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks KatC for the input. I do wonder sometimes if it is allergies too. As for bedding I use a layer of DE then wood chips then a layer of clean straw that has very little dust. However she really likes to root around on the ground when I am feeding incase I have dropped anything. Sometimes she almost looks like a pig rooting around. I haven't been able to find vetrx anywhere except the hoeggers catalog ( have an order in for it) where else can you get it? Also Faith loves going in the rabbitry with me and into the stands outside the chicken coop when I am in it. She is the only one that follows me EVERY where. So I know the birds are dusty. I am going to finish the lung worm treatment and see what comes out of that as well as wait and try the vetrx whenever it comes. Happy to listen to anyother suggestions. If she doesn't stop coughing the vet suggested X-rays. But I am hoping it doesn't come to that. Cathy

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have asked many breeders and goat owners about coughing nd 99.9% say "goats just cough" I have a few tat cough, I know for sure it isn't pasturella pneumonia, I have tried Vet RX, I am thinking it is the hay I use for bedding because my goats spend all day out doors and I hardly hear them cough but when they go into the barn, they cough. I HATE the coughing I feel like I am not doing enough. :shrug: :sigh: