The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July, my 2 little girls had pneumonia. They were 2 months and 4 months at the time. They had a little bit of a runny nose but clear discharge. No temps every time I took one. Breathing heavier than usual. Occasional cough that sounded wet. Vet confirmed pneumonia and prescribed Nuflor. The 4 month old had fluid in her lungs. So they were on Nuflor for 6 days.

In August the 4 month old (now 5 months) came down with pneumonia again. This time just an occasional cough and heavy breathing. No temp. No nasal discharge. Confirmed pneumonia again. This time Draxxin was used. So far she is pneumonia free and hasn't come back.

Today I just took both girls in because the 2 month old (now 4 months) was coughing again (wanted to make sure the 6 month old was still pneumonia free). No nasal discharge and no temp. Just occasional wet cough. Vet confirmed pneumonia and she is now on Draxxin. Luckily the 6 month old is still pneumonia free.

So if you question what is going on with your goat and suspect pneumonia, have it checked out by the vet. It could be pneumonia even if they don't have all the symptoms of a bad case. My girls never had a temp above 103.5. Don't wait until they are on death's door and expect the vet to cure them.

I also had individual fecals done today on my 3 girls and only 1 has enough barberpole to treat. So I'm glad I had that done too. No coccidia and no other worms found. Now I will only have to treat the 1 goat that needs it. So having those fecals done is a good thing. Once in a while it really is good to have individual fecals done to see what is going on with each goat.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other thing I am going to suggest to people is to get their goat's temps when they are healthy. I just realized that I don't know what my girls normal temps are. So my girl who had a temp of 103.4 today may be elevated for her. So as soon as our heatwave breaks and the girls are no longer sick, I'm getting everyone's temps so I know what normal is for them.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
That is unusual for them to be getting it so often... I know you know what you are doing but going to ask anyways. Are they hanging out in a shelter that needs to be cleaned? Ammonia from a build of pee can help to cause it. Also cedar shavings have micro fine slivers that can cause irritations that lead to pneumonia. Always better to use pine shavings. I even go so far as top check the shavings I am buying at the feed store to make sure they are good shavings and not powdery or dusty. Hot days and cold damn nights?

Or if you have some ideas why, that would be great added info to this thread. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No, clean the shelter on a regular basis and it has great drainage. I also don't use shavings. They each only relapsed once (so far). My 9 year old Nigerian has not gotten sick at all through this whole thing. They always wanted to eat and drink. They played and ran around. Their eyes always looked clear and eyelids nice and pink. There truly weren't super good symptoms other than the cough that I didn't like the sound of. The 6 month old had heavy breathing the first time that I didn't like too (which she ended up having fluid in her lungs).

I think Nuflor didn't completely knock it out of their system. Draxxin worked better for my 6 month old so hopefully will do the same for the 4 month old.

I think their age has something to do with it. Their immune systems aren't fully there.

Also, I think weather played a part. Ohio had a colder, extremely wet (like flooding where you usually don't see flooding wet) spring and then we had a very hot, muggy summer.

This has also been a bad year for pneumonia and coccidia in my area. I'm thankful that coccidia was not a problem for me as well.

I almost forgot that I bought these does. The first round of pneumonia happened right after I brought them home. So stress played a role as well.

I think things that may have helped keep it "minor" was that I have been giving them 1000mg of chewable Vitamin C tablets daily. I also give the goats electrolyte water (along with plain water) when the temp is 85 or higher. I have 2 fans going in their shelter area when it is hot too.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Could be colds or allergies as well, not pneumonia. I wouldn't treat with antibiotics, unless of course they have raspy lung sounds or have fever, not feeling well.
How did the vet come to the conclusion of pneumonia? I know one sign is raspy lung sounds and fever lethargy, but, I am wondering why? Have you tried benadryl? Vet RX

If the goats are sleeping out in the weather and the morning dew, maybe have them in the barn until the dew lifts.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet listened to their lungs and checked them over thoroughly. Heard it in their lungs. He is a good livestock vet who has been doing it for years and does have a very good knowledge of goats.

Vet Rx did nothing. Benadryl did nothing. Treating them for lungworm did nothing. I tried those the first time around before I took them to the vet. They were the sickest the first time around and I think it was because I tried all those other treatments first and waited too long to take them to the vet.

Goats sleep in the shelter at night. The shelter has good ventilation too. I lock them in their area every night so I don't have to worry about predators. The three goats have a 15x24 area to live in that was added onto one of our garages.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,084 Posts
Scary! Good work staying on top of them like that. This year with my herbal wormer, I've been adding fresh garlic to everyone's dosage balls ... it has helped them through allergies at least, and is supposed to prevent pneumonia a bit ... either way it's good for them. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I agree Karen -- a lot of times they do NOT get a fever with pneumonia and then by the time its diagnosed the goat is to far gone to save or costs $$$$ heavily to treat.

I like Excenel better then Nuflor for pneumonia and it has no milk withdraw - just a little personal experience.

Ive heard good things about Draxxin but my former vet would not proscribe it since its illegal for goats.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Draxxin is the only thing our vet will prescribe for pnuemonia and we have had 100% good luck with it, and let me be the first to say that this has been a hellish year for pnuemonia. we have found that ibuprophen works very well on high fevers and a whole lot cheaper than banamine (although i do like banamine for pain). I looked into getting a bottle of draxxin from the vet, but it is way expensive, and decided to buy doses as i need it. the vet only lives 2 miles away so it's not a big deal to go get it. and his on-call vet is a goat breeder, so we are very lucky. i dread the winter if it has been this bad for pneumonia all summer.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will admit that I am not a fan of Nuflor. My old vet strictly used Draxxin. But it was the first time I had ever gone to my new vet and wanted to give his protocol a chance. He was not hesitant to give me Draxxin second time around.

It is hard when you have just moved and have to find a new vet quickly.

Only 2 days into the Draxxin and my 4 month old has stopped coughing. So hopefully this is the last I will see of the pneumonia.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am happy to report that my goats have been cough free since the Draxxin. My 6 month old is still cough free back from August and now my 4 month old has been cough free since the 2nd day after the first Draxxin shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts