The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wether is still scouring after fighting worms for a month. I have given him Red Cell, Molly's herbal, Corid, Pepto-bismal, Bovi-Sera, Fenbendazole paste, liquid Fenbendazole , Injectable iron, Vitamin B12, (over the course of a month) Is their another medicine that might help him get over it?:whatgoat:

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Did you ever have a fecal done to see what he actually has?

You haven't done Ivomec. I would get Ivomec Plus. Inject it at 1cc per 40 lbs SQ.

Ultimately you need to have a fecal done to include coccidia. You really need to know what parasites you are dealing with at this point.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i agree with karen dont waste anymore time on getting the fecals GET IT DONE. coccidia is not as well controlled by corid. if that is the problem and sounds like it is get baycox.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
I too agree..if fecal comes back clean..repeat it in 3 days to a week or bring in two samples, a few days apart...worms shed eggs in cycles..so while one fecal cancome back clean another could come back full....

if all come back as no worm load consider Bacteria scorus..Neomycin is a safe oral antibiotic that can help with that...

be sure to keep him well hydrated, scours can take it all out of him...here is a good recipe

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I agree with the fecal, that will help tremendously. You need to know if worms or cocci is still an issue and treat accordingly.

Pig scourhalt works well, in some scouring issues. Go by the instructions, if you are to use it.

Could be, the rumen is off after all those treatments, it may need help. Try probiotics orally and Fortified vit B complex shots US for 3 days at minimum. See if that helps.

Stop all grain, only feed oat hay or something equivalent. No Alfalfa it is too hot when scouring.
If the goat is not use to the hay, start out gradually. No lush green pastures.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I agree with the fecal. There is something called GI Soother from Fir Meadow. It is herbal so it cannot hurt. Not only does it handle cocci, but many other causes of scours as well, such as ulcers, bacterial, or tummy upset. I've had great results with it. When I had cocci here I gave it every 15 minutes double dose for an hour. By the end of the hour he had normal pellets again. After that I gave it 3 times a day for 2 days to be sure it was whipped. :)

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will get a fecal sample done and see what the results are. Does Di-methox help with cocci? Karen, what is the difference between ivomec and ivermectin? I forgot to add that we gave him that ivermectin.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Ivomec is a brand name. It contains Ivermectin.

If you have done all that, then a fecal to include coccidia is absolutely in order.

We don't know how you dosed all the wormers. It is also critical to dose correctly.

Safeguard should be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs for liquid or 3 times the horse dose for paste. Also do it for 3 days in a row.

1% Ivermectin should be dosed at 1cc per 20-25 lbs orally or 1cc per 40 lbs SQ shot.

DiMethox should be dosed at 1cc per 5 lbs on first day and then 1cc per 10 lbs on days 2-5.

It is extremely important to get a weight on your little guy to dose correctly.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks. I can't get a fecal sample till Monday.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. NO more scours!!!!!!:fireworks:I don't know what did it. Maybe Molly's herbal finally kicked in. I never ordered anything else because I wasn't quite sure which one to get. I did give electrolytes though. He is so much better so I think that I probably won't do a fecal at this point.

·
11,082 Posts
Great! I will tell you, after having experience with Molly's and Fir Meadow's, I have found Fir Meadow to be more effective -- there are more ingredients, and Kat has an herbology degree. :) Nothing against Molly's, she was great and got us started, but I have noticed a big difference in my goats when I made the switch.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great! I will tell you, after having experience with Molly's and Fir Meadow's, I have found Fir Meadow to be more effective -- there are more ingredients, and Kat has an herbology degree. :) Nothing against Molly's, she was great and got us started, but I have noticed a big difference in my goats when I made the switch.
I was looking into their stuff and I think I will compare prices. We have 14 goats and are breeding 9 this year so we have a lot to treat. Molly's Herbal has worked well but I have not tried Fir meadows. Maybe I will try both since I am about to order more.
Thanks for the advice
Meg

·
11,082 Posts
Gotcha! Another herbal wormer I've heard great things about is LOH dewormer (Land of Havilah). It's newer, but the herbalist also has a degree, and she actually gives the ingredients and how to make it on your website. :)

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha! Another herbal wormer I've heard great things about is LOH dewormer (Land of Havilah). It's newer, but the herbalist also has a degree, and she actually gives the ingredients and how to make it on your website. :)
Thanks. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Danielle, do you ONLY use herbal worming in your herd? And do you mix it into feed? It would be great to have something effective and natural that doesn't require shots or nasty tasting meds!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts