The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my first 2 ND's for about a month now, so very new at this. I've have noticed they scratch a lot. I recently posted on here and got good advice about putting 7 dust, or in my case Poultry & Garden dust, in a sock and dusting them down. I've done this several times since I posted and I still see these guys scratching. Even the very next day after dusting. They scratch at the hindquarters, belly, ears, legs, everywhere really. I just don't think the Poultry dust is cutting it unless I'm not doing it enough.

Is there something else I can use to help these guys from itching so much or is 7 dust/Poultry dust pretty much it for goats? BTW, they are 4 months old, a doe and wether.

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
I would go ahead and inject Ivomec at 1cc per 40 lbs. Definitely inject it. Do this 3 times 10-14 days apart.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did just worm them using ivomec horse paste. A total of 3 doses every 7-10 days. I weighed them to ensure accurate dosing. The last dose was given last Wednesday. Should this have taken care of whatever they're scratching at? Or is the injectable ivomec still necessary?

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
You need the injectable for the external parasites. If your problem is lice, it really should have taken care of it. If it is mites, then it probably won't.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Karen, what do the lice look like? I bathed my goats yesterday, didnt see anything, but one doe had scabby sores about 1/4 inch to 1/2 on her rumen areas. She scratches all the time. I havent done the ivomec injec maybe I should, I just worry about and injection site sore as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if its likely mites shouldn't the 7 dust or poultry dust work. I'm wondering if I'm not putting enough on them. I know I'm being conservative in my application not knowing if it will irritate their skin.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wanted to bump this to the top. Should Seven or Poultry dust take care of a mite problem? Is it okay to generously pat them down with either or do I have to worry about skin irritation?

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
No, the dust won't take care of mites. The scabby sores are usually mites. You can't see the mites but you see the sores, etc the goats end up with. You can put something like MTG on the sores.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. For now I'm applying what I have on hand, Bag Balm. I'm trying to figure out the best way to give an injection of ivomec since I'm a newbie to goats. A good website to recommend? Possibly anything else to try before the injectable ivomec?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do see and signs of lice, ticks, fleas, or any other bug? Also are there a lot of Mosquitos were you live?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Lots of mosquitos here. It's odd because the sores are only on her rumen area. And there are 2 on each side of her. Her nose is once again losing hair-I always think it is sore mouth-but Now I think it may be mites. I guess I need to treat for the mites with the ivomec.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do see and signs of lice, ticks, fleas, or any other bug? Also are there a lot of Mosquitos were you live?
I am just not seeing any bugs. Just the scabby sores she is scratching. What is interesting is the wether has none of these sores that I can find, though I do see him itching.

We are in TX so yes, some mosquitoes and some fire ants, too. I know I saw the doe stand briefly in a fire ant mound and thought the sores might be ant bites. But she has one of these scabby sores up at the base of her ear.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
You can also use cy-lence pour on for mites and it will help keep the mosquitoes away.
Do you have a black light bulb? You can check for ringworm by seeing if the sore spots glow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts