Still very new an learning What to do an when now after born

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by osidoa, Feb 20, 2010.

1. osidoa

osidoa New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi Everyone, I am still learning New to all of this I have posted once with my first one kidding an she done good triplets an they are still going strong all little does, now some of my other boer goats have had them I think I am up to around 15 babies now, My next questions are what should they have as far as shots for vaccinations, and when and what age should I band the males, and should I dehorn , the pros an cons to it an what ages? And also what age should I worm them?
    Thanks for your help
    Steve
    Indiana

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi Steve,

Most of these are personal preference... so I will just tell you what I do here at my ranch.
    We vaccinate horned kids at 1 week and 3 weeks with CD &T
    We disbud at 1 week
    We vaccinate for pneumonia at 6 weeks and 8 weeks
    We worm with Cydectin at 6 weeks and again 10 days later.
    I use Deccox in their grain mix as a preventative for Coccidia.
    I do not vaccinate my adults with CD&T... which is why I do kids so young.... most usually vaccintae at 6 and 8 weeks but I disbud and don't like disbudding without vaccinating first. Polled kids get their CD&T at 6 and 8 weeks of age. I tag ears at 8 weeks of age. I wether at 8 weeks of age.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    This is how I do it.

Newborns get BoSe only if needed.
    If disbudding it should be done the first week. Boers have a very large horn base that's tough to get unless you really know what you're doing.
    At about 2 mos they get their first CDT then again 28 days later.
    I dont worm till weaning time & nobody that's going for meat gets any vacs whatsover.
    I wait till 3mos before banding in order for that uretha to fully develop as well as testicles completely dropped.

I personally dont disbud they are so majestic with. Horns also act has natural heat & air conditioning.

4. osidoa

osidoa New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for responding it is interesting how everyone handles each thing on there farm and I look forward to hearing more from everyone
    Steve
    Indiana

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    CD/T is given at 8 weeks to give a chance for their immune system to be working then the booster is 21-28 days later

Kids should be disbudded by 2 weeks of age -- some breeds need to be done sooner.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once babies begin to arrive I'm there to dry them and clear airways, dip their cords in iodine and get them in the right direction to food.
    Mom has a bucket of warm molasses water and my comfort.
    I don't disbud kids myself and take them to a friend to have them done by 10-12 days old, registered kids are disbudded, pet kids are optional.
    I give the first dose of CD/T at 5-6 weeks the 2nd dose 3 weeks later. Bucklings are banded at 6-7 weeks
    I worm kids with ivermectin paste pushed into a syringe to measure 1cc at 6 weeks
    Kids are started on cocci prevention with Di Methox doses at 3 weeks of age

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The pros of disbudding is not so much ruined fences but they will find a way, Boers are big & all they have to do is keep rubbing on fence so it bows out.
    Or stand on it.
    Field fence made of 2X4 spacing keeps heads out. Or in?
    My girls have never used their horns on me. Sure I have been scraped unintensionally at feeding time in their exuberance for something to eat.
    Horns vs no horns is a wide & sometimes emotionally charged issue. Its mostly going to depend on your fences.
    But as you know their horns grow in a gentle curve back & around & sometimes off to the side.
    There are folks that will not have a horned animal on their property period.
    Dairy is differnt just about all dairy goats are disbudded.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  9. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    What are CD&T and BoSe for? I just got my hoeggers catologue and was going to get a few basic things to start with,should I get these to,or would the vet do it? I plan on having the vet tattoo/disbud/band if possible. Also would a 8 liter milk pail be a good size to start with?

10. osidoa

osidoa New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Indiana
    May I ask what is the best dehorning tool for the babies, and where you recommend to get it?
    Thanks Steve
    Indiana

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on the breed of goat, but many here use a Rhinehart X30 disbudding iron for their mini's. Jeffers as well as Hoeggars carry them.

CD/T is for entero or "over eating disease" as well as Tetanus....vaccinating against these two common goat diseases is reccommended. Bo Se is basically a selenium injection...only to be given in goats with know deficiencies or showing sign of selenium deficiency such as kids will with White Muscle disease...providing a good free choice mineral will sometimes suffice.

12. osidoa

osidoa New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Indiana
    I was looking on Jeffers and they offer different size 1/2 3/8 1/4 I have boer Meat goats which one would I need to get for the best results and also when you do this, I am guessing it is best to take the kid a good ways away from the mom when you do it as not to upset her or the others from the noise am I right? and approximately how long do you hold it on there to do the job on a week old kid?
    thanks Steve
    Indiana

13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Steve if you've never disbudded before Im going to suggest to get someone to show you how it's done.
    Boers have a wider & thicker base than most. I had a customer request disbudding & offered to do it myself but being a vet tech she had already arranged for someone else to do it.
    We have a rhinehart X30 with 1/2" diameter.
    The best time to do is when they are no more than a week old. Shave all the hair you can & do it outdoors.
    In between burnings clean the tip with stiff wire brush & allow it to reheat. You should get a nice ring on a 2X4 instantly.

14. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank you :)