Still waiting for our nubian...

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Perfect7, May 2, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    to have her kids. We bought her two weeks ago yesterday and she was supposed to kid in a week or two. :) Her sides are heaving, but from the udder pics I've seen she's nowhere near ready yet. She hasn't bagged up at all. I guess that's good because it gave me a chance to give her the CD-T and worm her, and we'll do both again in a week or so. My concern for her is that it looks like she has "sausage teets". How wonderful for a newbie like me to end up bottle feeding two....or three....
    I'm so hoping that wont be the case but we are prepared with a bag of milk supplement and bottles just in case, though I will really try to milk her first if the babies can't latch on. Waiting, waiting.....

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know the wait is torture... :help:

Is the person you bought her from sure about the due date?

CD&T ...the booster should be given 21 to 28 days later.. not a week....it is the wormer that should be given 7 to 10 days later.... What kind are you giving to her...

You'll be surprised what kids can latch onto.....you will have to wait and see... if they can nurse for sure.... Glad you are preparing in case though...it is better to be safe than sorry... :wink:

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm sorry, I didn't say that I gave her the CD-T when we bought her two weeks ago. In a week that will be the 21 days, but I haven't rewormed her yet so I need to go ahead and do that now (15 days) instead of waiting another week! I used Ivermectin, and glad I did instead of using Safe Guard since I read that can cause problems for the babies. I used Ivermect paste like I use for my horses, and tripled her weight for dosing.
    I sure hope you are right and they can latch onto those sausages! :ROFL: It looks like it will be a mouthful. I'm on my way out now to worm her again.

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Oh, and I don't think the person I bought her from was sure of the due date because she was pasture bred. I got our boer doe from him, too, and he didn't even know she was prego 6-9 weeks but his boer buck was in with both of them.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That's OK....now that makes more sense... :wink: You are doing a great job...... :thumb:

And I to....pray.... :pray: that they latch on....you may be surprised..... depending on the size.... just remember... after she kids ....milk out some... so the teats aren't as big....feed it to the kids...because colostrum is very important.... :hug:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you for the tip, and I will definitely milk her out to see if we can make them any smaller for the babies! I'm not looking to raise bottle babies if we don't have to. I'll also pray that she has babies with big mouths!

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    careful what you wish for. If you hae my kinda' luck, you just ordered bottle babies with very loud mouths. :shocked:

Gina and loud bottle baby Ben :doh:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yup, occasionally I'll have to milk out the udder so the teats are smaller, just syringe the colostrum to her kids :)

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm still snickering over the bottle babies with big mouths! :slapfloor: That would be just my luck. I've had goats for two weeks and we've had lice, pink eye, a baby that wont eat, diarrhea for a day from the new grain, and a run of constipation! Of course, we got a surprise pregnancy so it's not all bad.
    As I looked at the nubian's teats tonight, I've decided she has no udder at all. Nope, just two huge sausages that will probably swell up like baseball bats and drag the ground. Oh boy! I guess she'll be ready to kid when they are as big around as my leg. :ROFL: Poor girl, they hang to her knees already and she's pretty tall. This will be an adventure, but I'm excited to see my first ever kids born.

10. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    At least she'll be easy to milk :slapfloor:

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: When it snowed here my pygmy Mischief's drug through the snow. :shocked: I thought I would have to knit her teat cozies. :slapfloor:

Gina

12. A pic could help.

As for worming do this at a month old. Worming an earlier won't hurt them, but it is a waste of time and money, because they don't begin to eat significant amounts of solid food until they are about three weeks old.

The first CDT should be done at this time too. Again they have begun to eat solid food, their rumen should be starting to develop and the immune system should be up and running. Again you can give earlier, but it will likely to be helpful, and again a waste of money. 2cc's then again at two months. Dosage is always the same no matter the size or breed of goat. You can also give pneumonia vac at the same time and it is two cc as well. Jeffers has this if your local feed store does not.

Hope that helps.