The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I have a problem here or not, and would like to get some opinions. We have 3 does, and just finished our final kidding for this year.

Sassy- First freshener. Kidded way early at day 132, with twins. The first was tiny and stillborn. The second was also very small, but survived and is now thriving.

Meg- This was her second freshening. Went full term, and delivered healthy twins.

Cori- Another first timer. Went full term. Delivered triplets today-- one tiny stillborn baby, and then two normal sized kids. There was a significant size difference in the healthy twins and the one that was born dead.

So, out of a total of 7 kids born, 2 were stillborn. Is this unusual enough to warrant a necropsy on the kid that was born today? Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

I didn't need to assist with any of the births. No tangled up babies or anything like that. In fact, both Meg and Cori popped their's out in record time. Sassy's baby had a short bout of scours shortly after birth, but other than that, everyone's been doing great.

·
14,615 Posts
Oh gosh Im sorry, it is a bit alarming. If you can get necropsy done it should give you an idea of what is going on, at least rule out toxo.
Can you put the expired kid in the freezer until you can get it done before it decomposes?

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
I'm sorry for your losses. My guess on the second one is that it either never had a good placental attachment or the placental attachment somehow got disconnected. Not sure on the first one. So many things can go wrong. It doesn't sound like you have a disease problem though. It certainly never hurts to get a necropsy done if you feel you should do it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice. With Sassy's, I kinda wondered if something had happened that lead to the death of the one twin, and if that one's death was what triggered the early kidding.

Karen, you mention possible problems with placental attachment. That's not something I've heard of before. I wonder... is it more of a problem with multiple births? Cori's the one who had triplets, as a first-timer. She's not a big goat to begin with. Is there any chance that having them crammed in together so tightly caused a problem?

Bits- I don't think we have any deficiencies. We have loose minerals and kelp out for them all the time. They get alfalfa cubes and free choice hay, and we started with grain once they kidded. Also have been giving them the pregnancy tonic from Molly's Herbals. We dosed once with Sel/E early in the pregnancies, but didn't do it again because our vet said this area is not usually deficient. They are all sleek and healthy looking. No sign of copper problems or anything. No problems with parasites.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Anytime I have 2 kids from different does born dead that I cannot explain(dystocia), I always have a necropsy done. I also take in the placenta if at all possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts