The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe, 2 years old, kidded this past February. I've been milking her once daily since I got her in June. She was giving me 2 cups and in the last week has dropped to less than 1. Today I got practically nothing from her. She eats hay all day, but hasn't been too interested in her grain.

I noticed when I took her outside today that her urine is very dark, and almost creamy. She was in heat a few days ago and tends to get mucus in heat, but this was coming out as she peed. I also noticed a strange, almost fishy, odor in the stall. It was stripped clean 2 days ago, so there's just sawdust in there now. When she pooped, it seemed a little foamy also. She was wormed last month with safeguard (3days) ran a test beforehand.

Would the foam suggest cocci? And would that make her dry up so fast?

thanks

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
A shot here maybe......ohh what do is it called??? Its perg tox. When they are prego but milk fever is that right??? I think its when their body can't keep up with the demand of milk. Just a shot but I remember when my doe had preg. Tox. Her pee smelled like that. People say sweet but it was not sweet to me. Again just a shot at a idea.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She kidded in February. I'll try to do a fecal tomorrow. She wouldn't touch her grain at all today but has been munching hay. She was wormed with safeguard (3days) a little over a month ago

I gave her probios this morning and just gave her 6cc B complex tonight

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
Safeguard no longer works in most areas...a fecal will let you know if worms are an issue...coming into heat can drop milk production...but sounds like she might have more going on...possibly an infection...either urinary or uterus...Take her temp, see if she is running a fever..101.5-103.5 is normal range...Due to fishy smell and her off feed..I think fever or no I would start Penicillin 1 cc per 20# every 12 hours for five full days..

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temp 101.4. Still not eating grain or making milk. Didn't get a chance for a fecal. Kids field trip today....something always seems to come up when I need to leave the farm

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a friend with goats come over. Lungs clear, good rumen sounds. She took a fecal sample home to look at. The mastitis paper turned light green, which she said means a slight amount of mastitis or infection. I gave her penicillin and was told to strip out the little bit of milk she has twice a day.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
Glad you have someone on board to help...if she stays off feed I would get her on fortified B complex for the thiamine and it will help her appitite and energy...is she at least eating hay? chewing a cud?

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She is eating hay and chewing her cud. She ate a tiny bit of grain on the stand tonight 1/3 cup while we were looking her over. I've been giving her 6cc of high level vitamin b complex injectable once daily for 3 days now. Which might explain why her urine is darker

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
Sounds like she is very good hands ;)

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No signs of improvement with daily b complex, probios and penicillin for 3 days now. She is still eating hay, but laying down a lot. I looked up symptoms of ketosis. She does have a sweet smell and it lists "poor vision". She's been spooking a lot. Suggestions please?

·
2,203 Posts
Have you considered ketosis?

Whoops just read above. Start propylene glycol, 2x/day. See what your vet has for potassium. if they have mineral type, excellent. give a potassium bolus. CMPK paste as well. Probiotics. With ketosis you need to make sure you have both calcium and potassium levels in control.

As soon as I read deep colored thick urine, ketosis is evident. Also means she's dehydrated. Either work with lactated ringer's over the ribs or do an oral drench of electrolytes.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
get her drinking along with what mjs500doo suggested...heres a recipe that might get her drinking more..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts