Stitches...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by eliya, Jan 10, 2009.

1. eliya

eliya New Member

On the day after Christmas I went out to do chores and saw one of my favorite doelings, Sapphire, with blood on her ear. Then I saw that about 2 inches of her ear was ripped:
    [​IMG]

So, I brought her into the house, washed the ear and put Tea Tree oil on it to kill bacteria and germs [​IMG]

I had never stitched any wound before and didn't have anything that was designed for stitching animals. I thought about trying to tape it as I was scared to think about stitching(!) and I don't have any kind of pain killer that I could give her or a local anesthetic, I but didn't think tape would stay on fur in the cold. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to give it a try. I used cotton thread and a regular sewing needle. Boiled both of them before I used them. I put more tea tree oil on her ear and then held a ziplock full of snow on her ear until my fingers went numb. I figured her ear would be good and numb if my fingers were. Then I got the sterilized needle and thread and began to sew. After two stitches she seemed to be feeling it and the ear was warm so back to the ice. Did that several times until I got all the stitches in.
    Here are the pictures of after I stitched her:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sapphire was SOOOOOOOO good about the whole thing. She stood still the whole time and didn't cry once while I stitched her up. She did cry when I left the room though. :D After sewing her up, I gave her as much garlic as she would eat (6 large cloves). This happened the day after Christmas. I have been putting tea tree oil on every day and giving her 3 cloves of garlic 2x per day. My greatest fear was of infection but she is doing great and her ear is almost completely healed up. I'll have to see if I can get an updated picture sometime. The only part that isn't going to completely close is the top part where you can see more pink. I think she'll have a small nick in her ear there. But it's a lot better than it would have been if I didn't do anything!!!
    Here are some pictures of my sweet little Sapphire that were taken summer of '08:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    good Job! she's a very beautiful doe...

question!

#1: why did you use garlic?
    #2: (kinda random) did you shave her, summer of 2008, if so how many days before the picture?-that is how i want the coat on my market wether to look..right?

lol. questioning over. :)

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Garlic is an awesome natural antibiotic, from what I have read. . . .

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You did a wonderful, WONDERFUL job!!!!

Make sure that you take the sutures out by 14 days so that they do not become overgrown with skin and the body start a natural recation to get them out.

She is a beautiful girl and lucky to have you!!!

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Wow, you did a great job Eliya!
    Talk about doing it yourself XD

And as far as I know, in most cases garlic has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties.

6. eliya

eliya New Member

The garlic is to prevent infection.

I'll look up how many days since she had been clipped in the last pictures. She has a pretty dense coat.

7. eliya

eliya New Member

I just looked on my pictures (I have a before clipping picture) and it says that the pre clipping photo and the show stance picture were taken on the same day about 4 hours apart. I'm not sure if that can be right...

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh, her hair must grow in fast, how long did you cut it? 3/4"?

9. eliya

eliya New Member

I use my Oster Clipmaster. It only has one setting. I'm not sure how long it cuts it. I have to wait a little while for most of my does to grow their hair back a bit, so I'm not sure that I really took the picture the same day I clipped her.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great job and a very pretty doe...how does it look since you removed the stitches?

11. eliya

eliya New Member

Well, I wasn't sure when to remove the stitches so when kelebek said 14 days I went out and took them out today. Today is day 15. Several of the stitches came out pretty easily, the others were a little more difficult. Also after I messed with it, it doesn't look quite as good. I think the top half didn't bind all the way. We'll see how it looks after a few more days. She also lost a bunch of the hair and some of the skin from the top (it was kind of stuck on until I messed with it). I'm going to continue the garlic and tea tree oil, and hope it continues to heal.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Keep cleansing it with warm water and an antibacterial soap or iodine scrub if you can. It is normal for the hair loss and it not close completely. But hey, you did a WONderfuL job and you saved her ear! Give it time - it will heal. My fire, that I had to suture at my house in October, still has a bit of scabbing and what not on some areas. It just takes time when we do "field" medicine!!!

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Wow! You are a very brave woman!!
    It would be intresting to see it now
    with the stiches out.
    I stiched up our pet chicken that
    way once, it worked nicely!!
    I think listening to James Harriet is
    a great confidence bulider for stuff like that!!
    Great job!

14. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Sorry just saw this post. When trying to minimize scarring and help healing use vit E. If you have some E capsules, just poke a hole in the end and squeeze it right onto the wound (wait till it's starting to close, or right away after stitches.) Hubby researched Vit E in college, he's been telling folks to take E for years.

15. eliya

eliya New Member

I've always enjoyed the James Harriot books Victoria.

Unfortunately, it didn't heal up all that well. The first 1/4 - 1/2 inch mended nicely, but the top inch or so came apart after I took the stitches out. I have it bandaged up now. We'll see how it looks in the morning. I was hoping it would mend all the way, but I wonder if I got to it a little too late and the tip of the ripped part had died already? I'll keep working with it to see what we can do, but it doesn't look like it's going to heal as nicely as it looked like it was going to before I took the stitches out. :cry:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    FWIW, superglue, yes superglue, works wonders on things like this.

I'm not joking, deadly serious.