The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we have one full blood Kiko Billy. He is very laid back, and for the longest time we thought he was not going to produce. Now we have 10 kids, and they are all spectacular colors and very sturdy. Eight Does and two Billy’s.

Honestly I do not know where the colors came from, as the majority of the Does are white.

But I have always heard the Billy is the foundation of your herd. This spring we would like to add 3-5 to our herd, so do we focus on getting some registered Kikos? Or do we stick with the Nubian Kiko cross?

The majority of our buyers really do not want to pay for registered goats. For most it’s more about how the animals are cared for and that they are healthy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It’ll depend entirely on your local market and your herd goals.

Going with fullblood kikos could be more profitable than running crosses, but you’ll need to make sure you have people that want to pay for them if that’s an issue in your area.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I have a mixed herd. My buck(s) are always registered but I run registered and non registered does.The non registered are full blood but I don’t have their papers. No matter on their status, I make sure they’re sound, parasite resistant and good milkers (aka good homestead goats) that way I meet market demands and can sell my registered at the price I want. It works for me because I have money coming in while I’m waiting on the more selective buyers for my registered kids.
To me a good goat doesn’t get better with papers but to show you need them.

·
8,161 Posts
The thing with papers is that you do have a known background. But, like you said, some people will not pay for papers, especially for pets or homestead goats. (or for freezer camp!) It pretty much is whatever will sell in your area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts