stolen buckling

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by susanne, Jun 11, 2008.

1. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I suppose that many of you all are too young to remember the last gas-stagflation thing in the late 70 and early 80's but livestock was butchered in their pastures by people who are low enough to do it. Even one case where horses were killed and the hind quarters taken.
    So, even though it is hard to think badly of everyone, being cautious of strangers, even one professing to interested in buying is a good idea. As much as possible, keeping the stock in view is good but I would also post signs for anyone lucky enough to have stock guard dogs. Just to let them know that they might find easier pcikings elsewhere.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That makes me sick. I don't care how bad things are, it is not right to take other peoples animals.

I do remember the butchering of the animals in the 70's. We lost a lot of animals (cows) to it, but I don't know somehow I can take that a little better then goats, and babies at that. I just PRAY that little boy went fast. :tears:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That is HORRIBLE!! I'm sorry but it is my opinion that those who do horrendous things like that get their dues in the end, I do hope the little guy went quickly and did not suffer. :cry:

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my gosh - I am so sorry.

I am so glad that I live where I do - but that thought has crossed my mind that someone could come "steal" my animals. It scares me bad. Especially when I let people come to the house to look at babies or what ever.

I hope that my dogs would get them if they try it.

:hug: I am so sorry!

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh my!!! That really got my blood boiling!! And seeing that sweet photo of him, how could anyone do that!?!?!?

:tears:

8. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    wow. who would do that. although things have changed a lot people just dont care. thats strange that they left the evidants and a trap. it almost seams they were being neat about it. i am so sorry. i really hope this dosnt happen to anyone else.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Unbelieveable, hard to imagine being that hard up. Sorry for your loss.

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I imagine that there is no real need to the people who would do this- just convenience for them. Meat too expensive at the store- then steal some. Things are no where near bad enough that someone can't earn a meal or two just about anywhere.

11. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    This is already happening all over the country. Police are finding carcasses in many states. We really juiced up the electric fence and we are considering leaving the dogs outside. It is a shame that people resort to stealing when there are plenty who would gladly share. I mean if someone knocked on my door and said they couldn't feed their kids tonight I would gladly give them a few meals.

12. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    So sad :(
    I can't believe the crap people do. I moved out the of city because people would steal right from your front yard and did not care who saw them. One year I had some cheap Christmas lights stolen and it made me mad. I moved because I wanted my animal family to enjoy a pollution free life in the country. I often worry if someone would steal my baby goats so I keep them right in the backyard outside my bedroom window. Only problem is I cant turn on the bedroom light a night because they cry.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    We have a big light (like a street light, mercury-vapor, I think you call it), on the barn. It lights up quite a large area. It gives me some security of mind.

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I can't believe what some people do! :veryangry: :veryangry: :cry:

15. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    That is so sad. I remember something similar happening to a girl I was in 4H with, although they knew who it was. It was the people that came to get the chickens from the chicken house, they butchered and stole (left the evidence just like in this case) a pig and a calf that they were raise for 4H, can't remember if anything was done (doubtful). They'd already had some trouble with these people, they'd stopped letting the girl be outside while they were there because they were saying some pretty nasty things to her.

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It does seem that it takes only a few people without a conscience to make life difficult for everyone else. But what do you do? I have only a small place so I can keep an eye on it better than some but even so I do go shopping occasionally.
    I have a dog but she would cause more trouble to the goats without me here that she would prevent. I tried locking the gates but someone just unscrewed the bolts on the hige side and opened the gate from that side. I bought some cable to put on that side- I need to remember to do taht.

17. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    That is just awful! People can be so sick! :veryangry: :angry:

18. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Gosh - I'm sorry about that too. It is an evil thing...

and that kid looks like Kerian, one of our bucklings we sold last year.

Mike