Stomach/rumen ulcers

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by artzkat, Nov 27, 2020.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I have a 16 yo doe that has had a rough go of it...after a dog attack that killed her sister and beat her up, she seemed to rally with the help of Vet care and lots of TLC...but recently developed rumen ulcers only symptoms she had was some slight foaming at the mouth when she ate something juicy (apples, etc)..then went off feed altogether and spiked a 105 fever. Vet saved her with antacid (famotidine) and ampicillin injections...but I am trying to ease her back into full rumen function. She is off almost all grain and 90% on grass hay with some steel cut oats, sunflower seeds, apples, bananas and soaked beet pulp. Anyone in the group have experience with ulcers and rumen rehab like this? Would love advice. Apparently the initial problem was caused by the stress of the attack!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes. You need slippery elm, it’s an easy herb to find. I remember your past thread on this goat. It heals ulcers, it works wonders for horses.

Fever is not caused by ulcers.

You’ll want to give 1 clove of garlic daily for at least a few weeks.

For rumen health, probiotics (I like probios brand, bovine gel).

Drenches of 4oz dark Guinness beer at room temp and flattened.

The apples and bananas aren’t really made for goats to eat a lot of (they don’t really offer much nutritional value either) and they can actually offset the rumen if too much is given so I would try a simple diet of just some grass hay and beet pulp. Sunflower seeds are ok but only a tablespoon or two.

MadHouse likes this.

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I DO NOT have experience with goat ulcers. But apples are acidic. Sunflower seeds can be hard on the rumens ability to break down foods. If they are in a large amount.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sulcrafate is good for ulcers. You get it from the vet. Will basically put a bandage over the ulcer so it can heal.

5. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the advice...will give it a try. The fever came on suddenly...no idea from what, but it resolved quickly with the antibiotic. She is not getting much besides her hay ..only an apple slice here and there and same with pear etc. She is showing an interest in some green grass (we still have some orchard grass here despite weather), crispy dead leaves and some iris fronds and is processing it all pretty well..nice goat berries and cud chewing. Fortunately I cut and dried a bunch of lespedeza as well, so she is getting a little of that daily too. She is still getting lots of probiotics and has been voluntarily eating a little baking soda and minerals as well and drinking well. Really taking it all one tiny step at a time So nice to see her chewing her cud and burping again! So hard to bring them back when they take a nose dive like this. And goats are such experts at hiding their symptoms until it is critical.

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you are a Great Goat Mom!

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Ha ha..don't know about that..After 15 years of owning goats, they still manage to baffle me every day. It's like they plot at night to get my adrenalin up the next morning! But I have enjoyed every day with them.