The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my babies a 1000 gal storage tank and made it into a house for them. I put a whole bag of shavings in it for bedding. They seemed curious about it and even went up the ramp to investigate it. But they won't go in it. I helped billy up into it and he stood there for a second and then jumped out of it and ran. Is there anything I can do to get them to use it? Should they go in it if it gets cold enough?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I got my babies a 1000 gal storage tank and made it into a house for them. I put a whole bag of shavings in it for bedding. They seemed curious about it and even went up the ramp to investigate it. But they won't go in it. I helped billy up into it and he stood there for a second and then jumped out of it and ran. Is there anything I can do to get them to use it? Should they go in it if it gets cold enough?
I would imagine they will be in it long before it gets cold. It is something new and they are probably just unsure of it right now. I think you will find that when they have a few days to explore and check it out they will be fine with it. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Put their grain in it a few times, they will go anywhere for grain and soon will think it is a great place. That is how I got my girls to start using their shelter, now they go in all the time even without the grain.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I spent a whole day cutting tubs to make little houses and they refused to go in them. I have a meeting box thing I made years ago for the chickens and was using it as a table and they loved going into the small holes. The only thing I could figure was it was smaller and more cozy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm going to have to put it on the ground. I was elevating it because the book I read said they liked to be up high to sleep. Guess it was wrong. Lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep they ran right in after their feed. Still not sleeping in it though. Lol. Lil stinkers.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Good idea for a shelter!!!
I agree...place it ground level..once they are used to it you can put it up higher..but use a wood ramp instead of panels..they can get their leg trapped in the holes especially in play...also use a file to smooth out the cut area for safety : )

When on ground, lay a layers of old hay under it to insulate the floor some from the cold and dampness...

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Happy bleats, the picture is si

Oh how funny is that ! I didn't see that in the beginning either , lolol
I think its a great idea ! Definitely put their grain inside , I'm sure their curiosity will get the best of them and they will be inside it in no time :)
Nice ramp too ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My husband and I came in from hunting this morning and we went to check on they boys since they were not out of the barn yet. We thought they might actually be in the storage tank because we didn't see them in the barn either. Once we got in front of the barn the little stinkers were under it. Going to put it on ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts