The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
sydmurph
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I have been scouring the Internet for an answer but I come up empty. Also searched here for previous threads with no luck.
I purchased a two week old buckling with his mom, and a second 1.5 yr doe. Upon arrival, the older doe separated baby and mom and was (what I thought) keeping him from nursing. So I separated them, and would hold mom with a bucket of feed to get her to nurse. (Read:wrestling).
It's been two weeks, the trio seems to have worked out their differences, but every day that goes by, mom seems more reluctant to feed. I am injured and exhausted.
Anyway, bottom line is, 4-5 week old buckling is munching on a bit of forage, likes his textured goat chow, isn't really into hay. Can I feed him store bought goat milk vs cow? Yes I am aware of the cost. Many of these threads tend to erupt into hot debate among posters about milk replacer vs cow's milk vs the milk/buttermilk recipe. But none of them speak to using actual pasturized goats milk from the store?
It seems logical for me. No, I can't milk the doe. No, I see no signs of mastitis.
Thanks in advance, experienced goaters!! Xoxo

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I see no difference between pastureized goats milk or cows milk, but did a search anyway. It appears that there is no reason you can't do that. One forum (Goat Wisdom) said that Wal-Mart carries evaporated and dried whole goats milk, so you might want to check out that option as well - might be cheaper.

·
Registered
309 Posts
By all means, feed WHOLE COW'S MILK FROM THE GROCERY STORE. I also have some goat milk from one doe and sometimes I will buy a gallon of whole milk and mix it half and half to stretch the goat's milk for my girl I'm feeding.

Whole cow's milk is the ideal replacer.

DonnaBelle

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
Sure, you can feed the goat milk from the store. That is not a problem. Most people don't because of the cost.

·
2,203 Posts
I say go for it. In general if I need to resort to using pasteurized milk I add one large egg for kids milk, 3 large eggs for calf's milk for extra protein.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts