Storey's Guide to Raising Meat Goats by Maggie Sayer

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by getchagoat (Julie), Feb 9, 2008.

1. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    This book was just published in 2007. Has anyone else read it? I'm almost 1/2 way through it. I know a few of the references from yahoo goat lists. So far it seems she does a good job at getting alot of information in there. In places, she pushes her way to do it, but other than that, seems like the next good goat reference book, especially for newcomers.

Topics in the book:
    Why meat goats?
    Before you begin
    Which breed?
    Where and where not to buy
    Selecting breed stock
    Think like a goat
    Goats on the go
    Housing and facilities
    Keeping goats healthy
    Parasites 101
    Promoting your business
  2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I have the book is awesome!!! My friend is in the book. Pat Cotten from Bending Tree Ranch...she was interviewed for it.

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Mona Enderli, Janice Nodine, and Judy Muska are on yahoo lists with me. They know their stuff.
  4. BethW

BethW New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Central VA
    I just bought and read this recently. I really liked it. It seemed to have more detailed info than Storey's book on dairy goats.
  5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i havn;t read it yet but if its as good as you guys say it is i will have to have my library get it ( they are really good about purchasing new books people request) I did find another good book the other day at the library it was published in 06 so still somewhat new its called Goats small scale herding for pleasure and profit by sue weaver. I saw a few names mentioned that i have herd before, mostly when they mentioned alpines.