The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was first faced with the decision to keep a buck I pretty much found the same information wherever I looked! "avoid keeping a buck if you can" and a few tips on keeping bucks like "they smell bad and the smell will stick to you" "always use caution when around a buck in rut" "don't give grain to bucks" and "don't let your buck run with your does until you are ready to breed"

I thought other people out there that are considering keeping bucks would find experiences from people who already have bucks helpful in their decision process.

Why do you keep bucks?
What problems have you had with bucks?
What do you feed your bucks?
What fencing do you use for bucks?
Would you keep a buck if you didn't need to?
Do you use or keep any special equipment for bucks?
Is there anything else you think would be helpful to a new buck owner?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why do you keep bucks?

There seems to be 3 options when you want to breed your goats

1. Keep a buck
2. Rent a buck
3. AI

In our case we use AI to breed our goats but had to get a teaser buck anyway to aid in the AI process!

What Problems do you have with bucks?

Aggression during rut is our biggest problem! Just yesterday I had to go into the stall where I keep the buck and the next 3 does to AI and he got me. He was a bottle baby and is friendly when not in rut and luckily for me he is disbudded. I walked in the stall and he came in the door from the pasture, there was NO warning he saw me and immediately charged, hooked his scurs (he has great big scurs from a bad disbudding before we got him) on the inside of my leg and flipped me up into the air over his back. They are strong and the whole thing happened in a second.
The smell also sticks to everything that goes near him.

Mixed grass hay, kelp meal and pasture. I also add a shot of apple cider vinegar into his water bucket once a week (more in spring if there are grains growing in the pasture)

What fencing do you use for your buck?

We just use the 4ft no climb fencing with a bunch of electric tape (around the bottom and middle of the fence and about a foot above the fence)

No

Do you keep any special equipment for bucks?

a soap scrub for smelly hands after handling him
A great big stick in case you have to go into his area while in rut with does (sometimes he will see the stick and not bother you, its better for him to headbutt the stick than you)

see if you can set up a way to confine the buck before going into his pasture. Like a corral or a leash on a fence that you can reach.

We have both of these but need to try something new as he has learned our tricks!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I love my stinky, overaffectionate guy. :eek:hlala:

Why do you keep bucks?
We have had only bad luck with trying to get our girls to the guy, and visa versa at the right time. Our boy is proven so we will keep him.
He loves me too much and is agressive with my husband.
Pasture hay, alfalfa, leaves when available, a little grain and alfalfa pellets. He has never had a health problem.
Our guy is pretty heavy so a four foot fence keeps him from going over. (The wether leaps it with ease.) He sometimes worries open the wire and we patch it up.
I think so. It is part of the circle of life and we are that type of farmers.
We find the garden hose a good deterent for entering his pen. I have found the peppermint, organic soap at Trader Joe's to be very good for washing off the *buck*.
Some common sense goes a long way. Mine will ignore me if there is alfalfa in the manger and I get in and out quick, hayfork in hand. The hubby worries me and I can easily picture him being taken offguard and being thrown. :devilish:
Yes, they do smell. We are lucky enough to have a *right to farm* act so neighbors cannot sue us for *harboring a nuisense*.

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
When I was first faced with the decision to keep a buck I pretty much found the same information wherever I looked! "avoid keeping a buck if you can" and a few tips on keeping bucks like "they smell bad and the smell will stick to you" "always use caution when around a buck in rut" "don't give grain to bucks" and "don't let your buck run with your does until you are ready to breed"
Bucks do smell when in Rut yes but ...that is because if they didn't ...a Doe wouldn't want him .......As to the smell...Wash your hands really well...with soap and warm water... then.... get tooth paste and wash your hands with that.....it takes out the smell....wash your clothes that you wore around a buck...simple fix....
Be cautious around a buck in Rut yes....that is a fact.... as some can be protective over the Does ...but not all are like that....I only had one.. that I had an issue with ....he never attacked me but.... he was slamming the Does at feeding time...while he was put in the field to breed with them....I couldn't handle that...he was replaced.....I do feed my bucks grain... but not the show feed ...as it tends to make them lazy.....

Bucks can run with Does up to the last 2 months of pregnancy ..or less depending....the Does at this time will throw mixed singles telling the buck.. that the Doe is in season from her discharge ..when in fact ..she is getting closer to kidding ....making the buck chase and try to breed the Doe causing her to possibly abort....however...if there are little young Doelings out there as well ....they will get bred to soon.... I prefer not to leave my bucks with the Does 24/7 ...only for 2 to 3 months... to get them bred ...then I remove them......

Why do you keep bucks?It is easier for me to have my own because ...I have to many Does to be able to afford to have a buck come out to breed them..
What problems have you had with bucks?I had one that would chase me... when I entered his buck pen( no Does around)....I sold him to someone that was aware of his issue and would not keep such an animal at my place....
What do you feed your bucks?Good quality Feed....lose salts and minerals with Imodium Chloride in it...
What fencing do you use for bucks? regular field fence 4ft for their buck run with hotline ..lower ..mid and top....I have them in a solid metal panel pen ...when they are locked up....
Would you keep a buck if you didn't need to?No.. but then ...I probably wouldn't have any Does.. if that was the case...
Do you use or keep any special equipment for bucks?No.. it is the same as I have for my Does
Is there anything else you think would be helpful to a new buck owner?never hit the horns of the buck... it is a challenge to them...and they think you want to spar....

There seems to be 3 options when you want to breed your goats

1. Keep a buck
2. Rent a buck
3. AI

In our case we use AI to breed our goats but had to get a teaser buck anyway to aid in the AI process!
I find for us... that if we have our own buck... it keeps cost down ...AI can be very expensive and time consuming.... renting a buck freaks me because it has the possibility of exposing bad things..that I don't want for my goats...
Raising my own bucks...I can monitor them for anything that may popup.... this is for the bucklings .. I buy outside my herd.... They are not put in with the herd usually until ...they are at least a year old or older..... so my Does are safe....

Aggression during rut is our biggest problem! Just yesterday I had to go into the stall where I keep the buck and the next 3 does to AI and he got me. He was a bottle baby and is friendly when not in rut and luckily for me he is disbudded. I walked in the stall and he came in the door from the pasture, there was NO warning he saw me and immediately charged, hooked his scurs (he has great big scurs from a bad disbudding before we got him) on the inside of my leg and flipped me up into the air over his back. They are strong and the whole thing happened in a second.
If one is ever aggressive with any of my family ...me or my Does... he is gone....there are a few that are like that and I do not want them ..... Not all are like that.... I am sorry you were charged and hit like that ...hope you are OK.... :hug:

·
1,576 Posts
Why do you keep bucks?
--to breed...cheaper than renting and don't have to deal with transporting girls here or taking care of someone else's goat

Had only one problem..our buck jumped out fence and got in pen with little girls...we have since moved the buck pen to the front yard while girls are in the back

Regular free choice hay, good grain especially when in rut, free choice minerals

Regular Field fencing

yes...I love having our own buck and breeding when I need him!

Nope...same for the does

Bucks are just like does to me...friendly and loving. They just get stinky when in rut which is good because they attract the girls by being stinky! Get some goat milk soap (I suggest Liz's ) to get bucky smells out...works wonders :)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Why do you keep bucks?
There aren't very many, if any bucks in my area available for lease and owning mine I can have him around as long as I need to, without the worry of him not being healthy.

I had one Boer buck with horns who would constantly ram the fence while he was in rut. All day long whack!, whack!. He was big enough to be penned in quality horse panels...he bent them. I didn't keep him very long. They are very strong and can damage very strong fencing easily.

Pasture, grass hay, grain, free choice mineral

What fencing do you use?
Right now, my buck is in a pipe fenced area with cattle panels on the inside to keep him from climbing through or slipping under. I have kept them in a regular field fence as well.

If I wasn't breeding any does, no I wouldn't have a buck...that would be torture for the does and the buck..lol

Do you use or keep any special equipment for the buck?
No, same as the does.

Their hooves are very strong and hard, but still need to be trimmed often. A buck with sore feet will not be able to service your does to his full potential. I would advise a new buck owner to always keep up on the care of their buck. Their care is year round just like the girls especially during rut. I would also advise to never turn you back on a buck or not know where he is when in his pen. They are still animals, male animals driven strongly by testosterone and are unpredictable. They can also do some serious damage if they catch you in a bad spot.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I love this post...thank you for thinking of it!

If I may, I have a question...When you seperate your bucks for that last two months of the does pregnancy, can you put ,dang now I can't remember th name of it...the stuff you put in your nose when you have a cold! We would put that in a stallions nose if he was being shown so he couldn't smell the mares in heat. Ah..Vaper Rub!

·
2,377 Posts
A good electric fence with a good strong gate. We have some plastic rain geer to use when we have to handle the buck if he is in the rut season. It washes or can be hosed. We slip this on over our clothes.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Why do you keep bucks?
Mainly because you can't depend soley on AI. I also happened to find excellent genetics over the years. I am not a compulsive buck buyer. It takes ALOT for me to buy a buck.
Their unwavering desire to be with does. They will try everything they can to get with does, although mine never escape. I feel sorry for them because that is constantly on their minds.
Alfalfa Chaffeye and Timothy hay. If they are in rut I supplement them with a 16% dairy ration grain.
Regular field fencing keeps my boys in great!
Yes! I will never sell my boys. They are worth more to me then just a baby maker. They have put me where I am today and I wouldn't get rid of my boys for nothing.
Nope. My guys are easy going. No need for special equipment.
Yes but it is to long to say. I have a whole page dedicated to first time buck owners. Here- http://orianthiranch.com/Information.html
Under the bucks subheading.

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
I love this post...thank you for thinking of it!

If I may, I have a question...When you seperate your bucks for that last two months of the does pregnancy, can you put ,dang now I can't remember th name of it...the stuff you put in your nose when you have a cold! We would put that in a stallions nose if he was being shown so he couldn't smell the mares in heat. Ah..Vaper Rub!
Yes ....you can use Vics...some breeders that show bucks use it... It is best to give them a bath first ....to take off most of the stink....but sometimes the weather doesn't let us.... I like to wait at least til ....the bucks and Does calm down (out of heat)...so the buck isn't in as hot of a rut.....before I put the 2 boys back together ...it is bad enough.... they have to re-establish pecking order but..... if they are still in high rut mode ...they tend to fight harder...and rougher.... :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Why do you keep bucks?

I have a large herd of does to breed; going back and forth to a breeder would be extremely expensive. Also, there are no bucks in my area or surrounding areas that I actually like.

It's much more convenient having the bucks right here so when a doe goes into heat, I can go out there, have her bred and it's done. They also help tell me when does are in season.
:D

They are a little rougher on fencing and with each other during rutt. Trimming hooves is quite unpleasant. General handling during rutt is also not fun...the smell easily gets on you. I have had one buck who jumps on his house then jumps over the fence and then runs over to the does fenceline. He only does this during rutt though and I actually don't mind because I can easily see when the girls are in heat, but if you have weak fencing or some way to get over the fence, they'll definately test your fencing.

Dairy quality alfalfa year round. Good loose minerals. No grain.

Oklahoma brand 5' tall max tight horse fencing. Love it! Invest in good quality fencing, it will pay off in the long run.

If I didn't have breeding does, no I wouldn't. They smell, they're a little harder to handle, a little rougher on fencing, they burn off more calories during rutt so increased food costs, they're noisy during rutt...they don't make good pets. However, if I only had a couple does to breed, I would still keep at least one buck.

No, not really. I do have one leash that I use on the bucks only...otherwise all my leashes would stink. :laugh:

Consider neighbors before getting a buck or building your buck pen. That smell can be overwhelming to some people, along with the noises they like to make, especially during rutt...wouldn't be very neighborly to put their pen next to the neighbors yard, or close by their property. Luckily that's not a problem for me, but I would definately want to take that into consideration if I lived close to my neighbors.

Also, bucks really need a buddy, living on their own, to me I really feel bad for a buck that has to live by itself. They just love companionship so much, to keep them happy a buddy is a must, in my opinion. If you can't get a pair of bucks, a wether will do just fine.
:thumb:

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Why do you keep bucks? Have lots of does to service.

What problems have you had with bucks? Escape artists that need good fencing and one boy the would destroy fence including cattle panels.

What do you feed your bucks? Dumor pellets or Noble Goat pellets with oat, alfalfa pellet and beet pulp pellet and a bit of BOSS.

What fencing do you use for bucks? 4x4 woven wire or cattle panels. The escape artist has to be housed in 6' dog kennel fencing.

Do you use or keep any special equipment for bucks? nope

Is there anything else you think would be helpful to a new buck owner? Get some of the coffee scrub soap that Liz makes! It takes the buck smell right off.

·
14,725 Posts
We've only had 1 adult buck who was a fullblooded Boer, and we now have another young fullblooded Boer buck.
We keep a buck for breeding the does, otherwise I wouldn't want a buck.
IMO it's much easier to have your own buck so you don't have to worry about trying to take a doe to be bred elsewhere and run into any issues, such as illnesses, missing a heat, or the breeding not taking and having to do it over.

Our adult buck was laid back, and he stayed with the girls until about a month before the first one was due. BECAUSE, he was was climbing our fence to get into the woods and browse. It got really irritating, so we put him in his own pen.
We use wire field fencing. He was climbing out of the pen, so I ended up using thick tree branches, etc. that we had in a pile and running them vertically to help support the fence so he couldn't bend it, then I ran chicken wire around the top, and it would lay inward, and this deterred him from climbing the fence...looked like fort knox LOL
Our young buck now will go in that pen at some point. He was born in early April, and is a big boy. We took down the pen and used the fence elsewhere and put it back up a few months ago - permanently. Except we're running long tree trunks along the top of the field fencing horizontally <they are about 4in round>, it will help keep him from tearing the fence down and climbing over it.
We have to finish it all up/house too and when the twin boys are ready to be weaned we'll put all 3 of them together until we figure out if we're selling or keeping the twins <for market wethers>.

I recommend getting a buck that has been worked with regularly, and not just when he needs shots or trimming. A good mannered buck who is used to walking on a lead would be ideal. The adult we had wasn't messed with unless absolutely necessary, so it was hard doing hoof trimming or worming, etc, I'd have to trick him in order to tie him up, and he hated it, I always worried he'd hurt himself or hurt me! He was a good boy though, loved to be talked and rubbed on, but that was it. Oh and he was all over you for treats :)

Buck's do stink, but the adult we had didn't stink all the time. He only did when in rut - but once all the girls were bred, that smell went away. He started to stink again this past summer, bred 1 doe before we sold him.

Our young buck is different - he's a CRYBABY LOL I dread the day he has to be penned...OMG earplugs please! He has bred all the girls, and has a slight stink, but he's still young, and with no girls left to breed...
He was shown in a few shows, so he is used to being led, and being messed with.
The only times I plan on keeping my buck seperate from the does is when they get ready to kid/after kidding for about 2 weeks after the last doe kids, and then after the does start drying up. NONE of my does have ever come in heat while nursing. We weaned in late May/early June and none of the girls came in heat until the end of Sept.
We have one big main pen, the buck pen, and sometimes I block my backyard off if need be. Last year when I weaned, little girls were in my backyard, little boys in the buck pen, does and buck in the main pen. This worked great.
I hope this buck stays as laid back as the last one I had, if so I can continue to do this routine next year.

Honestly, I didn't want to keep another adult buck. Wanted to sell the guy we have now by next fall so I don't have to deal with full grown bucks. BUT, it depends. We really liket his guy, love his size, so we'll see what his babies look like.
My son also has his heart set on showing this guy in the fairs next summer, umm...we'll see LOL

Most bucks I've been around have been very friendly. But advice that was given that I believe is true is do not allow a buck to develope a bad habit. IMO does are different and easy going. Don't let a young buck - play with you, rub on you or jump on you. He can get dangerous trying to play when he is older and might cross the line intentionally or unintentionally.
Don't let a buck rub on you, this could ummm...turn him on <per a friend LOL>, and also if a buck has horns, they could hurt you with their horns <we're trying to stop our young buck from doing this>, and obviously you don't want a goat jumping on you.

Honestly, I don't see what is wrong with having a buck. BUT, I would never own one that was aggressive or too unpredictable. My rule is, if a goat butts any person....bye bye goat ;)

·
Registered
867 Posts
First i have a question. When does a buck show his aggression? I know during rut but does age make them more aggressive? Does some breeds tend to be more aggressive? I bought my 8 week old Nigerian Dwarf back in May so he is around 10 month old. Was told never to have a tame buck as that makes them more aggressive so i never tamed him but he does come up to me and nibble on me when im in the pen and i can pet him no problem and he is very docile so he pretty much tame. I hate the smell but im the only one in the family that smells it.

Why do you keep bucks? I used to keep him with the does but after he breed my does for January kids which i did not want and the fact he started jumping the fence to get to does which were not mine. He got put in a run which is hooked onto the barn. Come summertime he will live in the front yard with a dog house.
What problems have you had with bucks? When in rut he would escaped and go visiting other lady goats in my area
What do you feed your bucks? Mostly hay some grain in the summer he will be able to graze
What fencing do you use for bucks? Cattle panel with chain link wired to it so he cant squeeze out any holes.
Would you keep a buck if you didn't need to? No but as long as ive got does there will be a buck around here.
Do you use or keep any special equipment for bucks? nope
Is there anything else you think would be helpful to a new buck owner? Just make extra sure when he goes into rut your fences are able to holds him

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
First i have a question. When does a buck show his aggression? I know during rut but does age make them more aggressive? Does some breeds tend to be more aggressive? I bought my 8 week old Nigerian Dwarf back in May so he is around 10 month old. Was told never to have a tame buck as that makes them more aggressive so i never tamed him but he does come up to me and nibble on me when im in the pen and i can pet him no problem and he is very docile so he pretty much tame. I hate the smell but im the only one in the family that smells it.
It just depends on the buck ...some show it early on .....if they rear up at you...wag their tails and hunch their backs towards you... that can be a start of it....
With any breed ...you can have aggressive bucks...but making them docile ...does not make them aggressive later on in life.... There are some Breeders that show their 300 to 400 lb bucks and they are like puppy dogs....

If you hit a buck on the horns... it is a duel....so don't hit them on the horns.... it is a challenge to them...and can start aggression...

I find... if a buck gets bored.... he is more inclined on aggression... it starts out with slamming and destroying his pen.... then... when you enter the duel is on.... So ...it is good to have a buddy for him to spar with or to walk him around or have a big run area for him to run around..... :wink:

·
14,725 Posts
I went out to visit with the goats for a while, and now I smell like....HIM LOL He is such a big baby, but I have to walk away from him or put my hand out and tell him 'no' and usually he takes that as a sign to back off. He is obsessed with rubbing on my leg LOL I let my herd queen do this, but she's my cuddle n snuggle baby love her to pieces, so he thinks he has the right to do it too LOL

I could never own an animal that wasn't tame. If I can't go in and mess with that animal, visit with that animal, why in the world would I want that animal? Even our last buck, I tamed with baby talk, and animal crackers LOL I could walk up to him and rub on him, and he loved it.
BUT, lines have to be drawn and you have to learn their body language as well as they learn yours. This is how I learned to be around our buck.
I agree with Pam - don't mess with their horns. They don't like it anyway. The ONLY time we ever have messed with a bucks horns is when hubby helped me do medication, vaccination, worming, or hooves, I'd hold the bucks horn that was closest to me, and use my other hand to hold his beard. This was how we got the most control over him - holding that beard/goatee madea huge difference. It beat having to try and restrain him and make him really upset. I baby talked him too while doing this and well seemed to work :)
I understood his body language too, and knew when he was in a 'mood.' The biggest thing with him was, he wanted to rear up at you a lot when you came in the pen, it was a dominance thing, and I taught him real quick I wasn't afraid of him. He NEVER tried to hurt me though.
Only one time did he cross the line. I went to give him hay, and he was really spunky - beautiful early spring weather had him bouncing all over his pen, he was just overly happy. He came up and grazed me on the leg slightly with the end of his horn, he was playing, but I ended it RIGHT then and there, and I actually think he felt bad about it, he knew he had done something that made me upset because I wouldn't let him near me for baby talk and baby rubs after that.
This being the buck that was 3yo and never messed with the first 2 years of his life.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I don't want to make it sound like AndCuriouser is mean. He was a bottle baby and can be too sweet. I just cannot let him rub on me this time of year. He gets offended that he does not get enough attention. :laugh:
Whatever happens to my husband is his own fault cuz he challenges him, (to show him who's boss) and sometimes gets a butt. I treat him with due respect and am not sure if he would ever hurt me as I do not give him the chance.
I treat a buck, and the other goats really, like the ocean. Not a good idea to turn your back even if it is calm. A sweet but heavy goat can hurt one accidentally.

We just turned the whole herd out together. For some reason he decided he had to have Tabatha :eek:hlala: who is VERY pregnant and chased her so hard we had to put her in the pen. I just went to check on them and the rest are all peacefully grazing together. I want him to run with the herd this month to catch anybody who may not have settled but I fear Tabbers will have to remain on her own.

·
14,615 Posts
Hoosiershadow is so right about grabbing the beard when you need some control!
And to never mess with his horns or head.
Some friends wanted us take back a young buck. Well they had messed with his head, played etc no way were we taking him back I dont care what he looked like!
My guy was raised right by his first human parents & then by the person who sold him to me. He is a huge Boer & easier to handle than some of my does!
Not long ago one of the lgds ripped his ear pretty bad. The vet came out to staple it.
I was confident enough to tie him up short & hold his beard with both my legs pressing into him against fence.
Each staple that went in he bolted but I was still able to hold him.
(His wether buddy is a bear on the stand at hoof trimming time. That is, if you can get him up there)
Because of horns, Auto has to pretty much put his head in the stanchion from the top & knows how to do it.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I think a lot of problems can start when the buck is a kid, especially bottle babies... People think it is "cute" how you can press on their heads and they will push back. I think this is a great way to teach a young buck (or doe) to be pushy and that you are one of their playmates they can butt and try to knock around. I also never let my kids jump on me. When they get big it isn't very "funny" when they jump up and plant a hoof in your face or knock you down.

I think handling goats can be similar to handling horses... you never want to get in a tug of war with a horse and you don't want to get in a pushing war with a goat. You will never win. You also don't want a foal rearing up at you or chasing you. When they get big this is very dangerous. Any goat can be very easy to handle so long as they have been treated right and you have respect for them as well as them having respect for you.

From what I have seen most of the bucks I knew that ended up being really aggressive towards people had been abused or treated very rough when they were younger. Similar to stallions and bulls, if you are mean to them they will usually lash back and try to defend themselves.

The buck I have now is very good. I feed him twice a day and he has a little routine where he runs to the feeder goes past it and waits until I put the feed in and step back before he gets to eat it. I've also taught him to get back when going through his gate or I want him to stay back, if I point at him and say "Get back" he will stay back where he is and not rush the gate or get too close to me. He's a good boy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts