Storing freezing milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by JessaLynn, Feb 2, 2011.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm so better prepared this year for milking again.I didn't store enough milk last year for the winter so I need some advice.What do you store your milk in to freeze it and how long does it stay good in there? I have 6 soon to be 7 in my family and have 3 does this year that will kid out.I'm leaning towards getting a 4th incase that isn't enough milk for us.We drink the milk and go threw about 3-4 gallons a week.I also make soap,fudge,and soon to be cheese.I don't want to short myself and rather have more milk then I need.I had only 2 does last year that were producing and it wasn't enough to store some for the whole winter. Also when I did freeze the milk after a few months I would thaw it and could not get the cream to mix back in which isn't good when you want to drink it :whatgoat: It would just float at the top.Is that normal? Thought it might of been the containers I used to store it in.

2. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    when my family had 6 milking does we would freeze milk in milk jugs from the store. we collected jugs from other people who bought milk and washed them real good. we never figured out how to solve the seperation... shake before you pour is what we did. or you could skim it off and save it to use for something i guess.

3. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
  4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I freeze in quart sized freezer bags, stack nice and takes up less space. What I do to make it mix back together is to float my bags in very warm water, break up the milk and put it in the microwave for almost 2 minutes, just enough to make it warm then put it in the blender. Mixes back together well enough that it looks like fresh milk. Since it'll be used fairly quickly the quarts are easier to manage and theres no worry of having it spoil due to the thawing method.

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We use dish washer washed pop bottles. We find they store fairly easy as well and don't really seperate as they have done in jugs. ;)

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Or you could milk some of them through the winter and have fresh milk.

I have frozen it and it always separated and I ended up throwing it out. I'm freezing some now in case I need it for kids, but if I don't it will get tossed. I am planning to milk at least two through next winter.

Jan

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Instead of throwing it out, it's still good to use in cooking, making ice cream or even making instant pudding or cheese.

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    About how long does thawed milk last in the fridge? That will determin what size of container I use. Great info everyone thanks!! I can't milk threw winter unless I have a heat lamp on them while I milk.I have bad circulation threw my hands and feet and they get frostbit really easy so that's just not an option for me.To cold here

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I freeze raw milk so once I thaw it with the warm water bath, it generally will keep fresh for 3-5 days...this is the quart size.