Storing Hay - think this will work?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 17, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey everyone, just wondering what you think....
    We are getting 3 rolls of alfalfa/timothy mix this afternoon. THinking winter here....
    I was wondering if putting them on pallets, then putting pallets across the top and covering real well with tarp would help keep the hay dry?
    I know if the tarp is laying flat on the hay it can cause moisture and mold. I'd like to try and keep as much from getting moldy as possible, but putting it inside is not an option. I figured the pallets across the top would help.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think if you put the pallet on the hay and the tarp over the top that should help. Just make sue that the sides will not blow up when the wind comes. Good luck and let us know if it works.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It should work....just watch the sides ...as Lori mentioned..... :wink:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, it should work. Pallets are good for storing the hay on...not sure about topping the stack with them though. We always just take straw bales and run a line of them on the top so it makes a tent so the rain and snow just falls or runs off. But we do have a big stack of square bales...not the round ones.

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I stored about 65 two strand bales on pallets and under a layer of landscaping plastic with a tarp on top of that, all held down with tie downs and duct tape, it was loose enough for air to get in there when the wind blew, but not enough for the wind to blow it off. One side was draped over a fence that was higher than the bales, so there was space, your pallets might do the same thing. It was properly dry, I guess if it is baled with too much moisture this can cause fermentation and fire. It was perfect when I took it out and used it.

When I just used a tarp my hay got moldy, tarps are not really waterproof except the really really expensive ones.

Jan

6. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I do that and my hay stays nice and dry. I bought tarp from walmart, I think it was about $30 and it was nice and big, I covered 12 bales and used bungycords to keep it tight during the rain and wind

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I hope it works :) I bought 2 8x10 tarps, and I have another one we can use if need be, not as big. It's not going to rain any time soon, so I can get another one tomorrow. We have lots of rope so we'll tie it down real tight. We're not keeping it in the goat pen this time, so no worries about them pulling it open or riping the tarp. I'm hoping 3 round bales will last us a while, we bought 2 back in early to mid June, and still have A LOT left.
    We had it in the goat pen and eventually had to take them apart so they wouldn't fall over. I am guessing we have nearly 1 bale left. I built a 'box' in one stall with pallets around the sides and on the bottom, so all the hay is in it. It's actually kinda cool, because it's easy to fill up the hay rack, and I can turn them into the stall and they can climb to get hay, but can't get into it or waste it :) Unfortunately, I have to have this stall for winter kidding, so I can't put any more hay in there after this is gone :(

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    We get billboard sign to use is traps. They're heavy, last longer and are cheaper. Two ends have pockets you can put a pipe or rope in to weight/tie the tarp down. We also put grommets along the over to sides and use metal tent stake to hold down those side. The metal tent stakes are great and easy to move around has you use hay. Shelly