Storing milk

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by liz, Dec 27, 2007.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My thoughtful hubby got me a Food Saver vacuum sealer for Christmas and I was wondering if any one has ever used the canning jar attachment to keep their goat milk in the fridge? I know you can freeze it in straight walled mason jars but was wonderingf if it would keep longer in the refridgerator if it was vacuum sealed. I love this new appliance!! Now I can keep my goat cheese longer as well as "shrink" wrap my soaps!
  2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I've never tried it. Goat milk doesn't last long in our house anyway :wink:

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have never used it to freeze milk but I have had issues with powders and liquids- they get sucked into the machine when you try to vacuum seal, The liquids must be frozen first and I put a paper towel circle thing in the mouth for powders. But I love it also- I never buy those plastic bag things - I just have mason jars. I did find that the ball lids seal better for me than the Kerr ones- I have some jars of dried fruit that is ten years old but I haven't the never to open them to see what the limits of keeping are- I keep the large volums of staples in them like grains, sugar, powdered milk, etc.