The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the house.

Where do you keep it? We have a small cabinet by the kids bathroom but it's full and I really want to move stuff out of it, since it's next to the towel cabinet, etc. & my daughter really needs a place for her stuff.

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep it from looking 'bleh' since it'll be in my computer room but viewable to anyone who comes in the house.
Right now the other stuff is organized in the designated '4-H box' that the kids take to shows, and a couple of other small plastic totes.

So what do you do with yours? Any handy, inexpensive ideas? Any pictures of something you've come up with doing?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have been keeping everything on the kitchen counter and on the shelves of the entertainment center and the meds that have to be kept cool in the refrigerator door. But as of this morning I got kicked out of the fridge...lol my husband is buying me a mini refrigerator tomorrow to keep in a spare room with a table to move all of my goat stuff to. :D

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a large, plastic sterilite brand camping chest that I keep things that might(but shouldn't) freeze in. I subdivided it with plastic containers to organize (ex. supplements, first aid, antibiotics/medications, etc) It lives on the counter in the pantry/laundry room.

I keep everything else in the hay storage room of the barn in my old horse show trunk.

One thing I also did, knowing my tendency to misplace things in a pinch, is make a list of all my supplies and where they are kept as well as their proper use/dosage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What sort of goat stuff?? Paper work? Vaccine records?
I have a cabinet in the kitchen, over my washing machine, just for my goats. I keep clean towels, hand towels, and wash clothes strictly used for our goats. I keep my gallon jug of concentrated udder wash in there, my milking supplies, filters, milking mason jars, my milking pail and cover, strip cup., and clippers, dewormer, syringes. Then I have a plastic tote that is "kid" ready, that I have supplied everything I need at kidding time. I won't need it until next spring so until then, I store that in my storage room/basement. I also keep my alfalfa/Timothy pellets and beet pulp pellets stored in a huge tote in the house in the basement where it's dry and cool. ( because I need to mix it with water and use my measuring cup) I make a batch of both and store it in two seperate containers and keep it in our refrigerator. Easy access as I feed them it everyday in the afternoon. My pelleted dewormer is located in dry cool basement.(I dont want that in the barn.. looks too much like our rabbit feed) All my paperwork on them are located in the barn. I have a desk/table out there that I keep it in. I keep a notebook with all the dates and information in.. Deworming schedule, when we castrated, shots, and feeding regimen for each goat... ect. And anything odd that I notice, I write it down with it dated. All fly sprays, shampoo, blue coat, etc; located in the barn. I keep snacks; animal crackers, raisens, and pelleted goat treats in plastic containers with lids in a another tote. I keep this in the barn too.
So my goat stuff is located all through out the house. I do think it's important to have a designated area for goat supplies.
Wow.. hope this is what you meant when you posted yor question.. sorry this is so long winded!!

·
14,615 Posts
Someday I will centralize everything but for now in the laundry room there is an old med cabinet. Fridgegated meds have their own shelf in main fridge clearly marked.
Kidding towels are stored in old pillowcases, laundry room.
Then there are a couple of plastic totes near the front door with stuff we take to shows.
Someday I hope to have a stock trailer so it that can have permanent storage.
There are a couple of garage sale tool boxes. One contains all hoof trimming stuff & the other is goat first aid.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have a set of corner cabinets that came out of a house remodel job. put it in the barn with a mini fridge underneath. records are kept with the computer.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I mean everything like medications, first aid, kidding stuff, just pretty much everything that doesn't go in the fridge and not paper-related.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I keep mine in an office credenza (like a long filing cabinet but middle is shelves). Anything that is long term storage is in boxes in my basement.

Can you put the stuff in boxes and put them under beds?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I keep the meds that need to be refrigerated in the fridge, of course. :laugh: Other meds, needles, and syringes are kept in labeled plastic 3 drawer storage thingys in a storage cabinet on the porch. Dextrose, iodine, etc., are stored on a shelf in the same storage cabinet on the porch. Kidding stuff is kept in a backpack, tagging stuff (including a small notebook and pen) is kept in a diaper bag, first aid stuff is in a horse grooming bag, and hoof trimming stuff is kept in a portable tool bag with handles. All bags are stored on a shelf in the closet on the porch. Records are in an excel spreadsheet, and the goats are in their pens - unless I forget to fasten the gates, in which case they are running around the yard usually! :p

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I keep my meds in a locker in the barn, except the ones that need to be refrigerator. Many of my records are on a clip board in the dairy. All my registration papers and dairy test are in a binder in a plastic sleeve in the house. There is allot of items for the goats, but having them in one locationreally helps

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'm keeping mine in a largish cabinet above the dryer, but it's already too small, lol. I think I'm gonna put some in my dresser in my room.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Here, there, and everywhere, lol. We have a cart thing with three shelves in the milk room, plus a cabinet, so most things are in there. Then there's another cabinet in the feed room, so there's some feed-related stuff and supplements in there. Then we have a cabinet downstairs where we keep things that we don't use very often. But somehow, it all seems to migrate to the kitchen counter when we're using it!

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I have a binder i made up (printed pages in sleeves)with goat meds,uses and dosages. Also has chicken,turkey,duck dosages on meds too. I keep that book all over the place but never far out of reach! Inside the pocket of the binder is my weight tape...
For vaccines I have a mini fridge in my kitchen, and for other stuff(meds,needles,syringes,drench gun,vetwrap,gloves,q-tips,etc,etc,) I use a cabinet in my laundry room. It takes a whole shelf! :eek:

I also have a few things in the garage on a shelf as well...but mostly in the house.

ETA: Milk pails and jars are kept in freezer in the house...teat dip/udder wash on a shelf DH made next to where I milk.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
So, the general feeling I'm getting is that our goats have pretty much taken over our lives, yes? :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts