The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else prepping for the double hurricanes? How do you prep your goats?
I leave mine loose, they have run-in sheds. Everyone is tagged with my contact info in case I lose a fence.
I haven't had issues during storms but I almost lost the whole herd during the 2016 flood because they didn't leave the shed. They just let the water come up but didn't want to go out in the rain. They were 50 yards from high land but I had to swim the stinkers out (the water was up to their necks). One actually headed back to the shed after I got her out to get out of the rain.
Best wishes for anyone else in the path & take care.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Bless your heart. I have to plan ahead. I live in Oklahoma so flooding: tornadoes, high winds...ohhhh.boy! I move mine to a barn on higher ground. If tornado is close..the horse & goats get my double car garage. Best I can do in that situation. Cant out run tornados..just stay ahead of the storms.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was so thankful the day that Florida was out of the cone of error. Hope you can stay safe! Our pasture has quite a few trees, the shelter does not have sides and our fence is old so all of our goats go into the garage when a hurricane comes. The does go into this flatbed trailer that we fenced in, the bucks go into this large outdoor dog kennel, and any mamas who need to be with kids or kids who can fit through the wire on the trailer go into small dog kennels. The trailer and kennels go into the garage. Everyone gets enough water and hay for a week just in case. Louisiana can’t seem to get a break with these storms and the damage. Take care!

·
8,066 Posts
Animals think their barns are safe- hard to make them leave during a catastrophe. Trying to get horses out of a burning barn is almost impossible. (covering the eyes helps). Goats fight, too.
Hoping all the storms miss you! Stay safe!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am getting a little nervous. We will put the chickens into the livestock trailer in our garage--its really a pole barn with 3 sides. The horse, donkey, goats, and cats will have to find a safe spot on their own. They have open pole barns, and one barn has 3 sides. We may have a wild night tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts