The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is fine! Of course. I think I'm really just in a slump right now. This is happening, one of my boys isn't doing good, they're all fighting each other! This is not my week!

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
My dad had to cut the same doe out of 2x4 inch hole panels 3 times, and then had to take a wooden gate apart... she was 11-12 weeks old. Put PVC pipe on their horns, they can't get their heads in places like that :)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
We have done it to several goats!! Doesn't bother them, and a lot less stress for us humans.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is no way a goat is getting it's head stuck in a fence with 2x4 spacing. A nose is all that gets through that spacing. We raise boers but even a newborn pygmy has a bigger head than that. The 4"x4" goat panels could be possible for a very young kid with a really small head.
On the other hand we have had a lot of problems with cattle panels like you have pictured. 90+ % of goats we've owned have been fine but the feew that get stuck tend to make it a daily thing.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
The fence I am talking about is the "goat panels" they are 4x4 because they are squares but they aren't any bigger then that. She had a tiny head.
I got my numbers mixed up--- I am tired lol

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had some stuff on there that was like wire panel but replaced it because it WAS a daily thing for her. No stuck heads for two weeks now and I thought we were home free. Obviously not

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yep! I have a few that will get stuck in the SAME DANG hole every day. I have one that will get stuck more like twice or three times some days. Sigh. But, if I close that hole, they just pick a new one. I have learned to keep all grass and weeds away from the fences and about three feet out. That really helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Isn't it amazing how smart goats are yet those certain ones that choose to get stuck daily. I guess humans are pretty smart yet some make the same mistake over & over, but we'll stick with the goat topic for now :).

One word of caution when using a hot wire to keep animals away. If you only put it on one side and an animal reaches through from the other side and gets their head through then hits that wire they will for obvious reasons panic and pull back very hard and really risk hurting themselves. Just make sure animals are trained to what that wire is or put it on both sides if animals are on both sides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts