The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like our best hay option for the winter is going to be straight alfalfa hay. We've had trouble finding hay that isn't moldy, and the man we are buying the alfalfa hay from has always been honest and good about that. He only grows alfalfa and timothy.

Here's my question -- all of the goats will be on it. What can we add to the buck's diet to balance out the excess calcium, and how much? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ammonia chloride. I really don't know how much. Since my bucks are breeding like crazy they are on grain and hay and I just throw a handfull in their grain.

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have ammonium chloride, thanks! But I would rather know how to balance the ratio so I don't need to depend too much on the AC. Too much AC I believe can be damaging to them.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would *think* for nigies it wouldn't be too much, maybe 1 cup? 1/2 cup? (Of grain)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Been feeding dairy bucks dairy quality alfalfa (24%ish protein) for nearly 20 years and never had an issue. They get nothing else but loose mineral mix. No treats, or grain. They can get a little fat before the rut but they shed the extra pounds pretty quick running the fence line.

But if you are at all worried, put 3 lbs of ammonium chloride in a 50 lbs bag of loose mineral mix and you should be good.

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all! TDG-Farms that is very good to know, thank you.

Goathiker, we are going to be getting timothy hay for our horses. If we gave the bucks a 1 flake of timothy for every 2 flakes of alfalfa, would that about cut it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts