straining/filtering milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by LuvmyGoaties, May 26, 2013.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    What does everyone use to stain or filter their milk? I am currently using a coffee filter in a funnel and it is so SLOW. I am milking 2 Mini LaManchas, both of which have twins still on them. I am not separating the babies at night yet so I am only getting about 2 cups a day and it takes 45 minutes to filter those 2 measly cups. :mad: So, what does everyone else do? Thanks. :)

2. OutdoorDreamer

OutdoorDreamer Member

Mar 29, 2012
    WV Panhandle
    I'm using a paper towel in a funnel into the glass milk bottles. It works fine for me and i have to strain a half gallon at each milking. I do plan on ordering real milk filters soon.

3. AdamsAcres

AdamsAcres HaileyBailey

Dec 3, 2012
    I use a reusable milk filter inside of a funnel. Works great! Much faster than paper filters.

4. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Where did you get a reusable milk filter? How much did it cost?

5. AdamsAcres

AdamsAcres HaileyBailey

Dec 3, 2012
  6. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    I use two tea leaf strainers, one half of the ball one on top of the cup looking one. seems to work great, and takes no time to strain the 3/4-1 quart I get per day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. I bought a smaller strainer and paper filters and filter directly into the mason jars. The paper strainers work great! and are not that expensive I think I paid like $5 for 300.

8. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I use fairly thin cotton cloth, mine is actually from a set of sheets i cut into squares and bleached the daylights out of. I also use this for cheese cloth instead of actual cheese cloth.

9. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    great re-use idea WarPony!

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've tried all types of handy homemade things to filter milk and in all honesty, the best and economical way to go is to just get the filters made for milk... I got the stainless mini filter from Hoeggers as well as the box of paper filters to fit it a few years back, definately worth the bit of $ for it and it catches everything... I've used the reuseable coffee filters as well as just cheesecloth and still ended up with a stray hair in the jar. The filter I use now is very quick too... pour from the pail directly into it over the jar and in the fridge in less time than it takes to fix my coffee before work :)

11. That is exactly what I do as well.

12. animalgirl12

animalgirl12 New Member

Dec 12, 2012
    I just bought some five gallon paint bucket strainers. people who spray paint use them. they are super fine mesh and work great. You get like three of them.

13. .:Linz:.

.:Linz:. Look for me in the barn...

I have the regular size strainer from Hoegger's, and use the paper filters. Like Liz said, it's fast and strains it all. The filters are a little cheaper at Jeffer's, and I can get them locally at the feed store as well, since they're the same ones used by the dairy cow farmers around here.

14. Amyhis

Amyhis New Member

May 3, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    I buy milk filters from my feed store. I find they work the best for me.

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I tried to be cheap, using coffee filters. That went over like a lead baloon. It's regular milk filters from feed store. And they arent expensive at all.
    Cheap is not always easy or economical in my experience.

16. cheyenne

cheyenne Junior Member

Aug 20, 2011
    MO
    I saw on TGS forum someplace that some were milking through cheesecloth, so I tried it. I really like it! No more hairs in the milk bucket! I use a rubber band around the top to make it tight.

I go ahead and filter through the regular milk filters afterwards, just in case some tiny particle makes it through the cheesecloth. But I'm really happy with the way this works!

17. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Ditto using actual milk filters and only stainless steel or glass for catchment and storage. Reusable stuff is too hard to sanitize.