Strange Behavior!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Okay, so today I was bringing out jugs of water to refill the water bowl, as our water hose out that way is broken at the moment, and as usual, every time I left the goats, a doe and a wether, were yelling at me "Come BAAAAAACK." which is normal.

But it was SO loud and insistent this time! And when I finally had all the water out there and went in to wash out the tub and fill it, they started acting crazy!

:shocked:

It was mostly the doe, Hope. She would leap into the air sideways, and start bucking like crazy. She'd jump onto the upside down bathtub they have to play on and leap off, bucking and twisting in the air. Then they'd race off around the pen, come back and head butt. Then they'd run to me, then run off again.

I thought they were dieing! I caught them and felt their bellies and all over to make sure nothing was amiss, and I couldn't find anything wrong. Then Hope calmly drank some water and went to the hay and starting chowing down, while Uno (wether) hopped onto the tub and nosed me for scratches.

Is this normal behavior? I've never seen them do anything like this before! Were they happy? Maybe the hurricane south of us is freaking them out...or maybe they were just enjoying the nice cool weather from it?

Reassure me please!! :?

2. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    They were feeling really good. Wait until you see a milker with a full udder doing this. :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good chance she is in heat and he is just responding to it.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, it is very possible she is in heat or about to come into heat. It sounds like a lot of play though. It's fun watching them do this. :) That would be a seriously funny pic to see a doe w/ a full udder bucking & kicking around, too cute! Doesn't happen too often w/ our does, but next time it does, I need to take a pic. :D

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    In heat?

But all the pooch pictures, everyone says pregnant, and she HAS gained weight and started getting...what's the word..deeper? in the belly area.

But hopefully they were just happy and having a good time. It really wasn't Uno so much, he was more interested in getting scratches from me, but she was apparently having a great time! I thought for sure she was going to fall over dieing!

Silly goats, but its relieving to know they were just having a good time.

6. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    My goats do this ALL the time!

When I let them out of the barn in the morn, they hop and buck and skip into the pasture. when I go to the barn just to check on them, they hop and skip and buck up to the barn to greet me (and usually the myotonic faints!!!)

Just take it as a sign that you are doing a GREAT job at keeping them happy and healthy!

Chelsi

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That really makes me feel great! They've just started to really warm up to me (We got them in early May), they were pretty wild when we got them, we couldn't even TOUCH Uno, who is now my little pal.

Yay for happy goats!

:stars:

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My two little ND's do that all the time also. They get up on something and then jump into the air, twist their bodies (I'm always sure they are going to end up landing on their sides or back) at the same time making bucking movements with their backends and then actually land on their feet! It's so hilarious to watch, it just cracks me up every time. I keep wishing I had my camcorder working so I could get pictures of them. Mine do it when it's cooler more than in hot weather.