Strange behaviour from goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Benoit, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Benoit

Benoit Member

Jul 28, 2019
    UK
    Hi everyone.

So one of my pet wethers has been acting weird. My first fear was UC, but I watched him out on the field for a bit and he went twice as normal and didn’t show signs of distress.
    He’s twitching his tail, running around a lot, and keeps stomping and raising his legs up and kicking, sometimes at his stomach. He doesn’t do this a lot and seems to settle down after a few minutes, but it’s worrying behaviour. It happens whenever someone approaches him. He just runs away and does that. I’m thinking it could be related to having spot on treatment for flies done a week ago, but usually he’d have calmed down by now.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    I keep worrying about UC even though I’ve seen him pee. Does that remove it as a possibility?

Thanks for any help.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He doesn't like attention?

If he is peeing a steady stream, he is fine.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Even though you've seen him pee, I don't think that 100% removes the chance that he could be dealing with stones. @NigerianDwarfOwner707 might have some advice for you. She's a bit of an expert on UC.

Are you doing anything preventatively for UC?

4. Benoit

Benoit Member

Jul 28, 2019
    UK
    thank you. Yeah, he only does it when my mum is around, and she’s the one who used the spot on. Never done this before, but we definitely won’t be using it on him again. If it’s the cause, it’s agitated him a lot.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Benoit

Benoit Member

Jul 28, 2019
    UK
    Right, thank you for your help. It’s very possible it’s something else, but I’m worried.
    For preventative treatment, I do have emergency ammonium chloride, but I’ve never used it. I just make sure the hay they have isn’t fertilised by chickens and everything is at least 2:1.

6. ksalvagno

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give him the ammonium chloride. I'm just wondering if he just doesn't want to get caught. Can you put him in a smaller area and get a temp on him?

7. Benoit

Benoit Member

Jul 28, 2019
    UK
    Yes, he’s a very difficult goat. He’s confident with me but if he thinks anything is happening he goes crazy. When he’s caught and on leash he starts slipping down and tries to lie on the floor in panic. So I’m wondering if he’s being dramatic or if there’s something really wrong.

I’m not really sure how to do the ammonium chloride, like what amount to give or if it would be ok to hide it in a fruit or a vegetable? I have the animed one, which I got from amazon. I’d rather have gotten it from another seller but it was hard to find in the UK.

I’ll look at him tomorrow and see if I can see anything and try to get a temperature. I’ll definitely contact the vet if it continues.

8. ksalvagno

1 tablespoon is the dosage for acute problems. You'd mix in water. Whatever way you can get the whole amount in him.

9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Ammonium chloride tastes TERRIBLE and my goats hate it passionately, so I caution you to only give a curative dose if you're sure he's experiencing urinary problems. Otherwise your now-skittish goat may never let you catch him again. If you think he's peeing fine for now but are concerned about future problems, look into getting a pelleted goat feed with added ammonium chloride that you can offer him as a treat, or figure out ways to give a regular preventive dose in his treats. A preventive dose is much smaller than a curative one so it should be easier to disguise. I like to mix it with some Gatorade, Kool-ade, or similar pre-sweetened fruit drink powder and let the goat lick it out of a dish.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    By the way, was the spot-on fly treatment applied to his belly? It seems far-fetched that this behavior could stem from the fly treatment, but if it irritated his skin it could cause this type of reaction. It definitely sounds more like he's irritated than having urinary trouble. Goats do exactly what you describe when they're being attacked by a fly or wasp, or if they have something stuck to their belly like a bur plant. It wouldn't be a bad idea to catch him and get a thorough feel of his belly. He doesn't sound like a goat that can't pee--those usually hang around acting depressed and off-feed.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    A few things:

My goats get stompy and twitchy when flies and gnats bother them. Any sort of irritation. Check for bites, curious about the spot-on fly treatment as Damfino asked.

My goats also get stompy and twitchy when excited, there are a few people that get mine a bit over-excited and they start to act different with stomping, tail twitching, mounting, etc.

On the topic of UC, if they are peeing okay, they are probably okay. I would look very closely at your diet to make sure there's nothing that could cause stones. But take a breath, if there's no straining and pee is normal, I see no immediate emergencies. Do make sure you have a safe diet, list what you feed and your water source and quality.

Diets for Male Goats jpeg.jpg

MadHouse likes this.
  12. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  13. Benoit

Benoit Member

Jul 28, 2019
    UK
    Thank you!!! I’ve saved this to my gallery. I’ll have to look into kelp and see if I can find it in the UK. Sorry for the late reply. It’s no longer bothering him thankfully, and he seems fine.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. Benoit

Benoit Member

Jul 28, 2019
    UK
    Hi! Sorry for the late response:
    He’s well and thankfully over the dramatics. I think it was the spot on treatment and won’t be using it on him again. The others don’t seem bothered by it, but he’s particularly flamboyant.

MadHouse and ksalvagno like this.
  15. ksalvagno

Glad he is better.

MadHouse likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California