strange bug running thru the herd

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by elchivito, Aug 12, 2010.

1. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Strange diarrhea running thru my goats. It started with my milkers. A little fever and pretty serious green scouring. They weren't off feed and only acting a bit down. I thought maybe it was related to their milk stand treats as I'd switched them from dry C.O.B to alfalfa/bermuda pellets. They get too fat with grain and eat the pellets a lot slower. My girls are heavy milkers so reduced milk output's not an issue. Finally all my milkers had it and this morning my retired herd founder came down with it, so I knew it was a bug and not due to feed change. I have treated with pepto, baking soda, probios and a banamine shot when they first get it. The girls who first came down with it 2 days ago are now starting to poop normally, so it looks like it's going to just work it's way thru the herd. I'm a bit concerned about the two 4 month old babies I still have but so far they've not gotten it. Neither of my vets are very concerned and seem to think that by the time I get a fecal done they'll all be well anyway. They're not worried about Cocci in the adult goats and I'm guessing that's not it due to the fact that it seems to be clearing up in about 2 days. It starts with rapid scouring and a bit of fever that tapers off over the 2 day period and finally resolves. Very strange. One vet suggested that due to this year's heavy fly problem it could even be a bacterial or viral bug that's brought in that way. Anyone care to comment?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would get a fecal done and check for worms and cocci.... you can never rule those out.....and to be on the safe side...
    because of the poo being green... I suspect to much of something in their diet or diet change.....if the temperatures are hot out it can bring up the goats temp a degree higher ....depending upon... if they are out in the sun directly for a long period of time.............what was the goats temps?

When it is diet oriented....then what you have given them will stop it within a day or 2 so that is what I suspect....it to be.... Keep an eye on their temps...but take them in the morning before the heat of the day.... :wink:

3. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I agree w/ the 'green scour usually means diet' thing.. That's been my experience.

If it goes to brown, I get a little more concerned.. Dirty water -- serious problem. But in my own herd, green means dietary.

4. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Well I now have 5 who seem to have gotten over it and are pooping normally after about two days or less each. Temps never got very high. Most were around 104 or 5 and it's very hot here. The temps only seemed to last a day. I have one senior doe active with it today and treated her the same way. Interestingly, we have two old cross bred Navajo sheep who have never had so much as a cold, much less diarrhea and I just noticed one of them has it. I suppose this is going to run it's course thru everybody. So far my two babies are fine but I worry that it might hit them a bit harder. Not looking forward to washing the sheeps' butts but fly strike is a real issue I think.
    I haven't changed feed lately, and since it seems like there is a progression of this thing thru the herd, with one or two coming down with it each day since tuesday, I doubt it's diet, but it might be related to weeds or water. I do have a lot of weed growth in the pasture and am going to mow it today. Also plan to bleach and scrub all my water buckets. We change water daily but there is a lot of algae this time of year. Anyone know if the dosage for pepto and banamine is the same for sheep as it is for goats?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Overgrowth of weeds is..diet change....as there is more of it and they can over eat it...which can cause scouring.... Give them roughage hay.... before letting them graze....and only let them out in it...for a couple of hours a day... and them slowly increase the time out.....each day... so... they don't over eat it... and their bodies can adapt to it...
    With their temps....could be because of the heat....as I mentioned before... I would take temps in the morning....for a more accurate reading..... before the the heat of the day and wouldn't treat with banamine... unless you know for sure... it isn't caused by the hot weather...... It still points to diet change....

If your goats do have high temps and not because of the heat....then.... they may need antibiotics..... Banamine takes down fever...swelling and pain.....it temporally covers.... what may be truly..ailing them... if in fact ...they have high temps....