The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bucks, Phantom, has started doing something strange when he eats. He goes to his grain dish, grabs a mouthful, and then like- holds it in his mouth and shakes his head a little. He then chews, kind of slowly, and swallows. Another common course of events is he gets a mouth full, buts the bowl off the wall and then pushes it around to floor as he eats if the bowl was fortunate enough to land upright. I don't know if this is just rutting buck weirdness, or maybe he's having trouble chewing? Swallowing? I don't know, but it takes him much longer to eat than my other buck, Cullen, so I end up having to stand there and fight off Cullen from taking Phantom's food and fight Phantom to stop him from knocking his food dish on the ground. He is very interested in food, always running into the barn when it's grain time, and eating branches that I give them everyday. I also checked, because I know that swallowing problems can be neurological, whether his scurs we getting too close to his skull, but that's not it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,347 Posts
I’ve noticed mine if they don’t really like something will put it in their mouth and nod their heads and make sort of mouth snorting noises and then swallow. Sometimes mine would do this while eating their normal grain but most of the time I’d notice it if I opened a brand new bag of grain, they sensed the difference and thought it was weird. I dunno, but I’ve seen it done.

Again, once a week or so without any change I’d still notice them doing it usually when they were trying to gobble their food.

If look at teeth or get a vet to, but if teeth are fine then I’d say it’s probably just similar to what mine do when they eat.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,347 Posts
It really seems like the "I don't like the way this tastes" behavior. I have been spritzing ACV on their food, and I upped the amount recently. Maybe it's just that. I'll try to get a look at his teeth though.
I have a video of one doing it. It's on my computer though and I'm on my phone right now. Will try and upload later today!!

·
Registered
30,207 Posts
maybe a reaction to the ACV. It's pretty tangy. I agree feeding without it. If you want him to have it offered, pour some ACV in a bucket of water and set next to plain water, let him choose.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe a reaction to the ACV. It's pretty tangy. I agree feeding without it. If you want him to have it offered, pour some ACV in a bucket of water and set next to plain water, let him choose.
I've tried having ACV out in the only water they had, but I was worried that they weren't drinking enough water then. If I put out two buckets, would it help?

·
Registered
30,207 Posts
If I put out two buckets, would it help?
Yes always provide both ACV water and clean fresh plain water so they can choose. With ACV water start by adding just a small amount..let them get used to that then increase it slowly over time. Some of my goats will try to drink the acv as it comes out of the bottle lol

Reactions: MellonFriend

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I've tried having ACV out in the only water they had, but I was worried that they weren't drinking enough water then. If I put out two buckets, would it help?
When it is really hot, try three buckets. One ACV, one plain water and one electrolyte water.:)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the ACV out of the food today and he did stop the strangeness, although he didn't try any less to not knock his bowl off the wall :rolleyes:. I'll have to start screwing them down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts